1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe a good place to start these discussions and make them more productive would be to stop mischaracterizing everyone else's arguments or assertions.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

All solutions require parts.

I’d like to see more trained individuals in schools. Number would depend on size. Like I said earlier, doesn’t have to be a prison, but if we want to keep kids safe, upgrading security is a relatively cheap option.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who is paying for it and how?

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

At this point it might be the only option, because the probability of meaningful changes to our gun policies in this country are slim.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

In my town they had guards at the schools, even catholic, then it was voted out because of funding. That is one story. I forgot why it started but it went on for about 2 or 3 years and was voted down about 2 years ago.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We're really focusing on schools here because that is where the latest incident took place, but the sites of these shootings has run the gamut. The Colorado shooting was in a theater. The Vegas shooting was at a concert. Some of them have taken place on college campuses, which are obviously sprawling and not confined to a single building. The Orlando shooting was at a nightclub. San Bernardino was at an office. Multiple churches, as well.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Totally. And ya know what would address the opioid epidemic? More prisons.

8. lakefront

And those kids have to come to and leave the building everyday. That is an opportunity for a shooter.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Tell that to the school district where I teach, which announced that it has to cut $700K from its budget.

Today during PD, we had two hours of training on how to use tourniquets, how to determine which people who were shot by a gun were color coded green (for alive) or black (for dead), terminology the EMTs use, and watched a video of a man being shot in his arterial vein and seeing that it took 48 seconds for him to bleed to death.

So we can have all these "relatively cheap options" of having an armed guard at a school (which, by the way, has multiple entrance points), or we can ban these fucking things.

This is akin to driving over the same nail that pops my front tire, but instead of removing the nail, I just keep putting duct tape on the tire.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As noted in the article @Neutral Corner listsd, an armed person has never — not once — stopped a mass shooting. If schools are too secure, the shooters will go to a place that’s not secure. Like maybe a concert in Las Vegas or a movie theater in Colorado.

11. lakefront

One solution is volunteer retired cops. The paid guards in my towns were retired cops. Funding was lost and there was talk of volunteers but I don't know what the pros and cons were. Maybe we need to do more volunteering for security? Remember the group in nyc. Controversial, but I think they were volunteer. Something to think about.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Looking at the indictment, it puts the evidence of Russian interference squarely, undeniably out there without any personal accusation against Trump and his team. That makes it harder to shrug off - it doesn't play into Trump's "They're after me!" paranoia. Once Mueller does get to the point of taking on the Trump gang, the investigation will be too entrenched for Trump to kill it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.