1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The "we need more security" crowd is basically saying every building needs an armed guard at every entrance.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, this "relatively cheap option" stuff is a joke. Many schools are struggling with funding as it is. I'm still waiting to hear who is going to pay for this cheap option.

It's still just a distraction from the gun safety/control issue, because schools aren't the only place these shootings are happening. The bullshit rhetorical cycle needs to end. We keep hearing politicians claim right after the latest incident that it is too soon to talk a about political solutions. Then the next incident comes along, and it never becomes time to talk about the last one. Or the entire string of incidents. The delaying tactics need to stop. The distractions need to stop. It's all just an excuse to keep hiding from the NRA's wrath and taking its money.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Volunteers carrying guns on school campuses opens up a huge liability issue. Also, too, the vast majority of gun owners in the USA are not trained in combat shooting techniques or situations. I took courses in it years ago. But I wouldn't say I'm qualified now - after years of rust and erosion of the skillset.

5. Dick Whitman

What is gut-wrenching is that there are 300-million plus people horrified by yesterday - and at least one who is, instead, inspired and now on deck.

There are a dozen people, give or take, walking around right now who are oblivious to what fate has in store for them. Probably this year.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the protocols that were enacted following 9/11 - I don't think it is out of bounds to suggest similar measures to track gun owners and those fascinated with guns on social media. Being Muslim in America is as protected as gun rights.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If it's just a dozen, and just one shooter, it'd be a well, not pleasant, but not as bad as could be, surprise.

8. Dick Whitman

Except they aren't tracking them for being Muslim. That's incidental.

(Not trying to be argumentative here. Just drawing what I think is a fair distinction.)

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, although if anyone who says they want to keep children safe amid a gun culture has a problem with more security, I can’t imagine why.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I probably missed it but there already is extra security at schools right? And where will the money come for this grand expansion of security? Not trying to be a dick, just asking.

11. Dick Whitman

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ho much are children’s lives worth? If you are automatically pushing back against security, maybe the primary agenda is not protecting children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.