1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You can throw in the prison system, both the local cops putting mentally unstable people back on the street because they don't want to deal with them and our underfunded and inadequate mental health resources for those who are incarcerated.

2. Neutral Corner

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are approximately 3,200,000 public school teachers in the USA. The price of a new Glock 17, reliable law enforcement handgun, is about $500. I’m sure trump can negotiate a great deal. Cost $1,600,000,000. Add training and ammunition for each and every teacher in America and you can see why the NRA wants to arm teachers. A billion dollar in profits windfall. And who is going to pay for the guns, ammo and training? Same people who pay for the police to be armed, local taxpayers. I’d rather that money be used for arts and science, language and math. Band and sports.

What’s plan B?

matt_garth and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I kind of think this CNN thing - while hopefully helping the parents and kids with their grief - is pretty exploitative. Morton Downey did stuff like this and nobody called it news.
    We know the issues. We know the stances.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You put the town hall tonight on the same level as the Downey show?

OK.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't help that she has one of the most grating voices ever.

8. Neutral Corner

It is emphatically not the Downey show - but anyone who has been to a town hall featuring a politician who is on the wrong side of the issue from a roomful of angry constituents has seen the same basic dynamic. There won't be too many NRA partisans who show up, and they will basically be shouted down, although any NRA backer who shows up to something like this is trolling and I have little sympathy.

I have to give Marco Rubio credit for showing up and taking what he had to know was going to be coming. They beat him like a tetherball, because there are limits to what a Republican congressman can say without getting on the wrong side of those who elect him. He gave ground on any number of issues, from age limits to buy guns to bump stocks to background checks, and it didn't make a dent.

What's going to get interesting is if this kind of pressure spreads from Florida nationwide, and if it stays this tough on any pol who tries to defend guns.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Rubio was willing to stand in there and take the gut punches so he could bolster his standing with his Republican base for his next run at the presidency.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At a "journalistic level"? Was historical context presented? A background on the shooter? Were people introduced whose lives have been saved by our lenient gun laws? It seemed to be produced with the primary aim to provoke emotion than to find solutions or common ground.
    Again, if the families and victims feel better afterward - no complaints.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

STOP ATTACKING KIDS, DAN!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t forget the push to gut public schools by some via homeschooling and vouchers for private schools.

heyabbott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.