1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand the concern. No one has to submit to such a search, unless they want to purchase a firearm.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think people have this idea that there is some easily obtainable clearinghouse for medical records. Like everyone has a list.

1/4/2005 - Strep throat.
    2/8/2009 - Broke wrist skiing.
    8/16/2012 - Diagnosed with schizophrenia after confiding that alien cannibals from exoplanet 6874A were threatening to slow and low barbeque his niece and nephew.
    3/8/2015 - Herpes.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's fair, but the hysterics to every little thing wears you down to the point that when something big like this comes up, you're almost numb to it. Pick your spots.

QYFW and HC like this.
  5. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

Interesting that he didn’t mention Dana Loesch (you know, the NRA rep who actually showed up last night to face the kids).

6. Dick Whitman

I mean, who gives a shit, really?

The NRA could have the best of intentions. And also be dead wrong.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, here's the thing.

I keep reading that 97% of people are for enhanced background checks. Now, we get to that number because, it both sounds good, and because everyone thinks that their definition of what an enhanced background check would be is the same as what everyone else thinks it would be.

But, a background check is only as good as the database it is searching.

Now, you can't tell me that in the same age that every single American has a credit score, that we can't also have some sort of gun score. All of this information already exists and is collected. It just needs to be searchable, so that a score can be determined.

Google, Facebook and Amazon already have databases that allow advertisers (or, in the case of Amazon, themselves) to perfectly tailor a pitch to you.

Private companies have your browser information, scan your emails for key words, know every prescription drug you take, and every purchase you've made with a credit card.

The cooperation of about five private companies, along with the government's own information, would make this possible. Add in mandatory reporting for school officials, law enforcement, and mental health providers, and you're set.

8. Dick Whitman

My big fear, that I've stated before, is that this kind of system would deter veterans in particular from seeking mental health assistance.

Hermes and QYFW like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's funny the length some folks will go to defend YankeeFan.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, CPAC is a shitshow of alt-rightism this year.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Global guests: Le Pen! Farage!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are underestimating the NRA's influence here. It isn't just money. It is also the way they can organize campaign efforts for or against a given candidate. It's not a huge group, but they are extremely well organized and motivated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.