1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fascism. The word is fascism.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As it must, part of any national 2A argument will come down to a definition of the word "infringed."

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ooh, that reminds me. At the U.Va. game last night. Lots of nicely dressed white people. Rick's worst nightmare.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Also, what is the line for “mental health”? Depression? Anxiety?

That would be a lot of people.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

An imminent threat to do harm to themselves or to others.

The restrictions I advocate in here all the time are basically the gun buying process in Japan. Including a mental health assessment at time of purchase.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Two different words used here:

1. Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press(.)

2. (T)he right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Is this a distinction without a difference? Or is there some significance?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Every anti-Trump person in America right now. #Kidding #sortof

The mental-health issue is fraught with problems. I agree with Dick that a wide-ranging background check would severely cut into people's willingness to get help. And, like Snark, I wonder if a legitimate line can be drawn. In our zeal to protect people, are we going to stigmatize an even larger cross-section of Americans?

On the other hand, something like GVROs could he helpful. As with everything else in this debate, there are no simple solutions.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they're interchangeable.

Nor do I know if they were thought to be interchangeable in the late 18th century.

I'll defer to the jurists.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thousands of lives hinge on an undecidable argument over what people dead for 200 years meant when choosing nearly synonymous words and how that applies to situations they never imagined.

Society is horseshit

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That said, does making it slightly harder to buy a gun "infringe" on anyone's rights?

What about making it much harder?

What about making it really hard to obtain a gun? Does that "infringe" on my 2A right to "keep" and "bear" arms?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m not underestimating them. They just can’t buy people. Yes, they’re well-organized and motivated. But they can be beaten. The NRA isn’t going to give its power and influence away. Voters have to take it.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you don't like it, but that's the reality and we have to deal with the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.