1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This answer is, I assure you, why they're at that policy debate. Not that their experiences are invalid, but they are so recent and emotional that they entirely validated, regardless of what the kids say or do.

And I don't say this as someone who watched the policy debate, though I watched up until the NRA spokeswoman came on. I say it as someone who understands how emotional appeals are leveraged in our culture. This who we are now, and this is how the world works. With anger, tears, outrage, demands, finger pointing and identity-rooted statements and beliefs that can justify almost any thought, so long as it's backed with enough emotional oomph.

And this particular outpouring - from a purely tactical point of view - is spectacular. These kids are emotional, forthright, unusually challenging, and present in the moment just eight days after it happened. I mean, man. Talk about poised. They oughta go in the forensics hall of fame.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That is patronizing and you are arguably more harmful to them than people countering their arguments.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Proposing" something and "actively working to make it happen" are two entirely different things. I doubt he'll do the latter - especially when Wayne and the very fine people at the NRA get into his ear (and wallet).

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which Parkland kid has the most punchable face?

[/crossthread]

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, no credit then. OK.

7. Dick Whitman

Pending credit.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As best I can tell, nobody is criticizing their policy arguments. They're questioning who's paying them, if they're being coached, are they taking their classmates' deaths just a little too well, etc.
    None of those things are fair to question.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

QYFW likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Again: Your position is that their policy positions aren't subject to criticism. Not that they haven't been criticized. You keep trying to start new, easier arguments for you instead of defending the position you've already taken.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That’s a good way to get your ass kicked, Dick.

Fly, SpeedTchr, Dick Whitman and 2 others like this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Never change, spuds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.