1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it doesn't look awesome!

When I had to review a bunch of murder investigations in Chicago, there were always casings left behind.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nearly every law proposed in response to these mass shootings would have done nothing to stop them.

"Close the gun show 'loophole.'"

Yet, if you can point to one shooting that wouldn't have been prevented by greater security, or better mental health screening, that's supposed to make every argument in favor of these measures mute?

And, the fact is, hotels have taken steps to prevent something like this from happening again, and their were failings on Mandalay Bay's behalf.

And, let's not forget, I'm the guy who had long advocated for using Big Data to identify, and investigate, guys like Paddock, who acquire a large cache of weapons, ammunition, and accessories like body armor, or bump stocks, in a short period of time.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

It was odd walking around last night at a PTA function at our kid's school, sizing up which of the teachers might A) have a concealed carry permit, B) the courage to run toward somebody with an AR and C) the training to effectively move and shoot accurately when jacked up on adrenaline.

I shoot Practical Pistol matches. I've taken courses run by former cops and special forces soldiers. But I'm not confident I could take down a school shooter.

4. Dick Whitman

Or, you know, he could be unable to buy any of it to begin with!

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The guy at Parkland wasn't confident, either. Why would anyone be? In virtually all of these cases, we're talking about a handgun against a machine gun? Even in the best case, it's never going to be a fair fight.

6. YankeeFan

Did I try to make that argument?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The counter is simple: A few people charged Hassan anyway and were killed. Probably because they were unarmed.

9. YankeeFan

So, let's just get it on the record...

Do the folks here agree that it was better that Coach Feis, who was a trained security guard, and who rushed towards toe shooter, was unarmed, as opposed to being armed?

Is that the argument?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Somebody flip Marco over. He's done on that side.

11. YankeeFan

Along with every law abiding citizen.

12. Dick Whitman

Sounds good to me.

FileNotFound, TyWebb and BadgerBeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.