1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not willing to concede.

I also think it's going to, sadly, require a massacre of such breathtaking scope that the tide turns for good. Like, 300 elementary school kids killed. Or an entire MLB team.

2. Dick Whitman

As I recall, after Sandy Hook, Wayne LaPierre and his field agent @YankeeFan suggested that schools recruit retired, sharpshooting volunteers from their communities to play shoot 'em up.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, in a lot of schools, there will probably be no teachers who decide, or are even eligible, to carry on campus.

That's not an argument for not allowing those who are eligible from carrying.

4. YankeeFan

OK. Sure. But he confronted the killer. Are we relieved he wasn't armed?

As to the insurance, neither of us know the answer. If it makes schools safer, maybe their insurance costs will drop.

5. Dick Whitman

Your "solution" will prevent exactly zero school massacres and probably result in at least a few accidental shooting deaths in schools, or worse.

6. Dick Whitman

You're right. Insurance companies love the presence of guns.

Are you even listening to yourself?

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Forecast: 95% chance of false dilemma this morning.

8. YankeeFan

I'm pretty sure I never suggested that.

I do think that at a school of 3,000 kids, there's some room in the budget for security. The SRO was a Sheriff's deputy. Does that cost even come out of the school budget, or is it borne by the Sheriff's office.

9. YankeeFan

Link?

10. Dick Whitman

There's barely enough room for pencils.

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I will never understand the argument that civilians should have military-grade machine guns. That's the essence of this argument, right? The rest of it is just clutter.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm saying we don't know if it would have made a difference.

And I'll let the president of the shooting range where I go know he should get a big insurance discount since everybody is armed when they are there and therefore safer.

(Also, too, that "confronted" thing seems like hyperbole along the lines of the Columbine "she said yes" story.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.