1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Mr. Trump has said he believes that understanding and channeling the nation’s grief is a strong suit for him as president, assuring a reporter during his campaign that empathy “will be one of the strongest things about Trump.”

But ... Samantha Fuentes, who was shot in both legs during the Parkland assault, said she had felt no reassurance during a phone call from the president to her hospital room last week.

“He said he heard that I was a big fan of his, and then he said, ‘I’m a big fan of yours too.’ I’m pretty sure he made that up,” she said in an interview after being discharged from the hospital. “Talking to the president, I’ve never been so unimpressed by a person in my life. He didn’t make me feel better in the slightest.”

Ms. Fuentes, who was left with a piece of shrapnel lodged behind her right eye, said Mr. Trump had called the gunman a “sick puppy” and said “‘oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,’ like, seven times.”

The account of the call was reminiscent of the last time Mr. Trump drew public scrutiny for his reaction to a tragedy, with his private condolence call to Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David T. Johnson, one of four American soldiers killed in an attack in Niger.

In that case, in October, Ms. Johnson said she had been deeply offended by Mr. Trump’s words and tone, saying that he had not referred to her husband by name, calling him only “your guy,” and had upset her by saying that Mr. Johnson “knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.”

What Do Jotted Talking Points Say About Trump’s Empathy?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

God, he's a fucking idiot.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There is always an excuse, and it always leads to people saying: They need more guns. Bigger guns. More expensive guns.

It's the greatest scam in American history. Gun manufacturers make mint, and when a Democrat is in office, they insist government tyranny is right around the corner. You'd better buy more guns.

Then when a gun nut is in office, somehow, restrictions need to be loosened so you can buy more guns. Because immigrant and terrorist tyranny (Sharia law?) is right around the corner. And gun manufacturers keep getting richer.

The same people who hate teachers and think they're the problem with this country now want to arm them. Then when shit goes bad, like a teacher accidentally kills four kids when trying to defend the classroom, it will be...

-We need kids to have guns. Why aren't 13-year-olds allowed to defend themselves?
    -We need all teachers to be soldiers, first
    -Actually what if the teacher is bad? Maybe if every kid a gun, soldiers with PTSD will think twice about teaching
    -Also we still need to fire teachers who won't teach creationism
    -Also we would like to fire teachers who want to teach sex education
    -If teacher can't operate his/her AR-15 under duress, maybe that teacher is a pussy
    -Here is a heavily-edited video of a C-list celebrity operating her own AR-15 and calling liberals soft. The gun lobby paid her $800,000 for this.
    -Maybe teachers need two guns in case the first gun jams

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. Unequivocally and without question. Acknowledging that thoroughly proven fact is about as perfect a litmus test as there is for telling which Americans are legitimately interested in truth and which ones aren't.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We're very capable, but that really wasn't the deal. When you have drones up and can watch 700 guys and their vehicle train move up to the river and their engineers put up a portable bridge, and you have all the time in the world to set up the counterattack using overwhelming force, it's really easy to be competent.

I don't know how much of that you tracked, but the bit about BUFFS, Arclight, and JDAAMs means B-52s carpetbombing them with laser guided bombs. That alone would break a 700 man force, and it was employed as counter battery fire on their artillery battery and a few tanks. We swatted a fly with a sledgehammer. Those poor bastards never had a chance... and when you're talking about war, I'm ok with that. They were repeatedly warned, they got in touch with Moscow and confirmed their orders and stuck it in, and we sawed it off with a nice sharp bayonet. Boom, done.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a more fleshed-out variation of my Cinderella Fucking a Walrus hypothesis posted earlier.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Next up: More guns for preschool teachers. Film at 11."

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

YF will be along at any point to tell us there's no real proof that this girl actually said this.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the fact that they're actually going to try it and some number of children will die as a result of it, responding to this with "we need more guns in schools" would be such a great way of reminding fired up Democrats what they're fired up about that I would appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.