1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You need to defriend some people. To prevent school shootings, it's obvious we shouldn't arm teachers. We should just arm all the students.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The trained, armed deputy failed. It seems like he froze, but we don't know all of the details. But some teacher, and we haven't really established a clear criteria for this, is going to leap into action and do so with the proficiency and skill necessary to take out the shooter while not hurting anybody else? This is the logic you are selling in your desperate attempt to defend anything and everything President Trump says and, more importantly, to justify Republicans acting as puppets for the NRA whenever this issue arises.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Trump is the kind of guy who would go into a firehouse and yell "Movie!"

BadgerBeer and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true, especially not in "urban" areas, where the was a front desk and a security guard and a metal detector long before Columbine.

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

This has been my favorite part of the "concealed carry for teachers" idea.

OK so someone can put target rounds proximal to a bullseye at a shooting range. What do they do when an assailant with superior firepower has already started shooting, there's chaos and innocent children running for their life through the halls, and as soon as the teacher attempts to engages the assailant, now they become the single target of the perpetrator's firepower?

Those in favor of the idea might respond that at least it's better than nothing. To which I would say, so is banning assault weapons and/or semi-autos, or mandating background checks for all purchases, or limiting magazine capacity, or restricting domestic abusers from gun ownership, etc.

Make no mistake -- this movement is happening at an awful time for gun-ownership absolutists. Outside of that base, there has never been a less trusted or respected voice in the White House for their position than the one currently installed. People have a knee-jerk skepticism if not outright rejection of his positions.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don’t know about that, but I did see someone say that in the largest (school) shootings, only one of the killers had been raised by his biological father. So, maybe the breakdown of the family does have something to do with it.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think the American drinking age is dumb as shit, but what's dumber is that people think (have thought?) that you need to be older to buy a bottle of Bud than you need to be to buy an AR-15.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm saying it would be a strange notion if active military can't purchase their own private weapons given we're trusting them with weapons on a daily basis in service to the country. If we have concerns about them owning weapons, they shouldn't be in active service.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Because they aren’t cops.

10. Human_Paraquat

Actually if those memes show up in my feed, there's a decent chance it's because they are being (rightly) mocked.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. Human_Paraquat

I can assure you I've seen more than one such post. They would probably use the no-prayer excuse for everything from bad test grades to the decline of cafeteria standards, too. But the posts definitely exist.

I would not surprise me if unstable family situations could be linked to predispositions to thoughts or acts of violence. It's one reason why no society should provide such easy access to hand-held mass murder devices.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Simply sprinting 50 yards is enough to destroy accuracy for most guys at the range. And they're shooting at paper.

One of the drills I did years ago at a shooting school involved the instructor walking behind us on the range with an air horn. He'd ease in behind you when you were focused on the target, put the air horn a foot behind your head and set it off right as you were squeezing the trigger. I missed the entire damn target the first time he did it to me.

Human_Paraquat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.