1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don’t think Pokémon Go would become a thing among the people killing each other in Chicago if guns were harder to come by legally.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not Chicago.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The one thing that is vitally important and I can't seem to find out easily is how long a typical handgun stays in circulation. In other words, if access were choked off, at what pace would the current supply dwindle?

I have a book idea percolating in my head right now. Gun violence ground zero is 15 miles away.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dana Loesch is only interested in generating further gun sales and making cheap political points to do so. She is unconcerned about the human cost not only of mass shootings, but of the day to day risk to children of color.

Chicago is complicated. Most of the guns in that city come from nearby areas with less restrictive gun laws, as H Paraquat points out. The current gun madness there really started as an unintended consequence of tearing down Cabrini Green and the turf war that ensued.

And many illegal guns begin as legal guns that are stolen from their owners. So the lower the number of guns overall, the fewer gun crimes. As has been demonstrated repeatedly.

The mental health thing is thorny. I don't think we've nearly rebuilt the system we dismantled in the 70s. The bureaucratic hoops folks have to jump through to get plugged into the very limited existing system are just as relevant as any stigma to their outcomes.

We need the neighborhood clinics we were promised 40 years ago.

And all these problems exist in New York City, too, but the rate of gun violence here has plummeted.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thank God for Rudy!

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

We'll see. It's coming.

7. Dick Whitman

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

But this is just punishing law-abiding citizens for the sins of criminals. It’s not right. It’s authoritarianish.

Stricter laws regarding high-capacity weapons are one thing, stricter laws in the general sense is just another backdoor attempt at getting rid of guns, regardless of the rhetoric.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know what similar books are out there or in the pipeline, but I suspect you could sell a book about Chicago gun violence with a strong proposal in about 15 seconds.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like he did plead out.

12. Dick Whitman

Or a magazine piece.

The questions I'm really interested in are:

(1) How did Chicago get here? (You could trace it back to Capone, really.)

(2) If the gun laws were stricter, how quickly would the gun supply dwindle to the point that it would have a measurable impact on violence.

Regarding No. 2, a lot of people talk out their ass about it on both sides. But what would really happen? (Kind of like that, "The Earth Without Us" book. Speculative ... nonfiction.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.