1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why the hell does his 4-year-old know about mass shootings of school children in America?

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Exploiting small children takes work.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a common refrain about the Parkland teen-agers, in particular, and I want to push back on it a little bit and see where it leads. The frequent allegation is that the tragedy is being "exploited" for "political gain," or something along those lines. But the "gain" sought is a change in the law that would seemingly protect those kids and others. That doesn't seem at all exploitative to me. It's not like people seek to ban AR-15s independent of the safety issues related to them.

In other words, the only thing that makes this "political" is that we change laws through the political process. It's really a debate over whether a particular piece of merchandise should or should not be legal to purchase.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  5. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Can't speak for this particular child, but mine have had to go through the active shooter drills at school, blacking out windows, taking cover, etc. That's how my kids became aware of this.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Would you sit your toddler down and talk to them about mass shootings outside of anything like what is described above?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They did active shooter drills at my kid's private school pre-K. She's in third grade now. They do those drills more often than tornado drills.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Hold on, now. There’s a huge difference between a teenager and a toddler. If my young child has a safety drill, I’ll gladly explain the larger issues (within reason), but if my child is a typical, inquisitive teenager, talks about important things would be part of our relationship. I WANT my kids to be aware and ask questions as they grow older, but I’m not going to tell my 3 1/2-year-old about mass shootings when she asks me to play Beauty and the Beast with her.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know, I know. To be clear, your post mentioning exploitation triggered my thoughts on the broader accusation. I totally get what you're saying about the 4-year-old.

But are the Parkland teens being "exploited" for "political" purposes?

I don't feel like they are.

QYFW likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Also, these kids WANT to be the face of this issue and this tragedy. No parent or other adult is forcing them in front of the camera.

Sure, you could say the news programs are exploiting them for ratings or whatever, but I think it is more accurate to say that these kids are exploiting the news programs to push their agenda and keep it in the face of an audience with a painfully short attention span.

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How do you know this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.