1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then people, in particular veterans, won't seek treatment for mental illness.

This is a very bad idea.

service_gamer, TigerVols and QYFW like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You didn't see the Al.com comments. I did.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The Parkland kids want gun control, right? If other people use them as an example to help bring about gun control, they aren't being exploited. They're being assisted to reach their aims. Right?

Exploitation is when Trump's flunkies use a picture of a victim without permission to raise campaign money. That's fucking exploitation.

bigpern23, BadgerBeer, Kato and 3 others like this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I suppose I don't know it, but it seems like a safe bet based on the passion they speak with.

But on the reverse, how do you know they are being forced in front of the camera?

5. typefitter

Jesus Christ, nobody is forcing them to do anything. They're teenagers. They're probably being told to stay home and be quiet and this is how they're rebelling.

6. Dick Whitman

"Exploit" is quickly becoming a term so overused that it is nearly devoid of meaning at this point, as regards these conversations. It's just a bogeyman used to try to shut down legitimate policy debate. Even if every last one of the Parkland teens were against increased gun regulations, it still doesn't seem politically exploitative to use their experience as an example for why policy needs to change. There is a policy debate ongoing because of experiences like theirs. Otherwise, there would be no reason for debate.

Again, why would anyone desire to ban AR-15s independent of the fact that they are viewed as dangerous? If refrigerators were killing people, we would be discussing banning refrigerators. It's a policy debate. People are conflating it with a political debate. Politics is simply the vehicle by which the policy debate is resolved.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Great thread on gerrymander, redistricting, and the predictable pushback against any attempt to prevent it.

9. typefitter

I think I agree with you, but frankly I'm too tired to break this down enough to know for sure.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Doesn't he use a cart when he cheats at golf?

11. Dick Whitman

You can stop reading after these two sentences and get the gist:

The rest is just the Director's Cut.

FileNotFound and HC like this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree. They haven't appeared to be anything but eager participants in the debate since this tragedy.

I know what it looks like when a teenager is being forced to do something. I still sometimes resemble that in my 30s when a friend has invited me to another goddamn baby shower.

Donny in his element likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.