1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

The Party of Family Values, one more time. Republican candidate and married minister caught up in sexting and nude photo scandal. Arizona GOP afraid he'll win the primary since 75% percent of the vote is by mail and was already sent before the story broke and they'll wind up with their own version of Roy Moore.

Republicans fret sexting scandal could cost them easy House seat

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then it is still dangerous and it still isn't a substitute for stricter gun control.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The problem is that gun enthusiasts aren't willing to have a conversation about which guns do I need for hunting and home defense and which guns do I need because I have bought into the myth that when the day comes me and my buddies will be able to overthrow the government with our home arsenals of semiautomatic rifles.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Once again you are a liar. I assume you are referring to Tommy Vietor. He was a young up and comer fresh out of school that turned down offers from other campaigns (I believe Kerry's campaign) to work for Obama during his early run for state Senator (I believe I have timeline correct). He drove his press van and stayed with him all the way to Washington. He was an Assistant Press Secretary and eventually the National Security Spokesman. But sure, exactly like you said.

melock likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One of the problems is you can't guarantee that they wouldn't exhaust run and hide before pulling out the gun. Another is somebody else getting their hands on it. Another is the potential impact on the schools' insurance policies. Another is determining what qualifications a teacher must have to carry the weapon in school.

The list keeps going, and the point remains the same. Even if you found some way to make it work, it still doesn't take the place of better gun control legislation, and really that is what you are going for here and we all know it.

8. Neutral Corner

Yeah, the same guys who need AR-15s at home to protect themselves from government despots also tend favor a much larger Pentagon budget. Your AR ain't worth dick against a Stryker with a chain gun or a drone armed with Hellfire missiles, you know?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Yes. Young Tommy. And, it appears that you read his Wikipedia entry.

What about being a 24-year-old college grad with a philosophy degree made him an up and comer, and what experience did he attain driving the press van that made him a suitable national security advisor to the President?

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Well the Kerry campaign apparently wanted him. He then worked his way through the ranks and was an assistant press secretary and eventually National Security Spokesman. Seems like he worked a number of positions in order to learn the ropes. I certainly don't have any experience in Washington but his path doesn't look too out of the ordinary. Your whataboutism is embarrassing,

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between being a National Security Advisor to being the spokesperson. And Special Assistant is one level below deputy assistant. Kind of surprising he didn't rise higher considering he was one of the first people on Team Obama. He was third-string Senior staff, AKA Donna Moss from the West Wing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.