1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Why do I think that if Trump was doing something similar you would simply argue that it was a deal making technique to ask for more than you want?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They should be more conversant on the issue, I agree. But that doesn't mean that your side isn't deploying a rhetorical device right now intended to shut down debate until the storm blows over. If Democrats propose a flawed bill, then they can continue to work to improve it. But Chuck Schumer could talk like Chris Kyle, and the NRA, Rush Limbaugh, and right-wing Twitter would find some arcane point to skewer him about for being a know-nothing.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It would take the Democrats about a minute to find, and work with, a like minded gun expert, like @Inky_Wretch, who could help them with this stuff.

But, part of the problem is that their base isn't actually for "common sense gun reform".

QYFW likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

Does MSNBC think a killer can outrun a handgun's bullets?

5. Dick Whitman

I don't even really understand what this means.

@Neutral Corner seems to know his way around a firing range, as well.

6. Dick Whitman

You're thinking of Ben Carson.

7. YankeeFan

A. It means that a Dem who proposes anything short of what is in the current proposal would face the base's wrath. The base wants to ban guns, not implement some reforms that would potentially work to stop mass shooting, or other gun violence.

2. Sure. The Dems could hire @Neutral Corner or any number of folks who knows something about guns. That they haven't is astounding.

It would really benefit them to actually listen to gun owners, and enthusiasts. Even if, as @RickStain insists, changing minds isn't the goal, they would be able to craft better legislation if they could see the argument from their opponent's side.

8. YankeeFan

And, btw, I don't know what Ben Carson would do, but Donald has a record of rushing toward(s) a confrontation!

9. Dick Whitman

Some guns, yes, the purpose being to "implement some reforms that would potentially work to stop mass shooting, or other gun violence."

The notion that people want to "ban guns" for any other purpose is nonsensical, and another rhetorical sleight of hand. There is no reason to "ban guns" independent of the fact that they are used to slaughter other humans.

10. Dick Whitman

I still don't think your heart's in this. You are just playing a particularly challenging hand of "Outsmart the Liberals."

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Got to start lining the war chest ASAP.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

When was the last time a president who didn’t assume power after a death didn’t run for re-election? This is not news. Re-election campaigns start the day after inauguration these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.