1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

See, you're definitely wrong here.

If this were true, we wouldn't see a fetish like obsession with things like "closing the gun show loophole", which wouldn't have stopped one shooting, and basically doesn't even exist.

But, more than that, the same way that @WriteThinking doesn't understand your hobby of collecting and drinking whisky, many on the left simply don't understand guns, find them disgusting, and want to ban them simply because they find everything about "gun culture" and the people that are a part of it, to be beneath them.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought the left wanted to "ban guns"? While "closing the guns how loophole" was an ineffective policy proposal, it was made with good intentions - cutting down on gun violence. This is evidence supporting my point, not yours.

Every word of this paragraph is utter nonsense.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It all changed when Newt told the GOP not to move to DC and changed the schedule so they could leave DC as often as possible. (The cynic in me thinks that was because it made it easier for Newt to have a DC sidepiece.) They'd campaigned on Democrats being Beltway Insiders and DC elitists, so they had to insulate themselves from the same attacks.

As longtime Congressmen will tell you, it destroyed the ability to get to know their co-workers. Thursday night poker games in Congressional offices were abandoned as they rushed home for the weekend at the close of business. A lack of cross-aisle (and even intra-party) friendships meant a rising lack of trust and cooperation on the Hill. It's increased the dysfunction in Congress - to the detriment of both parties and the nation.

Dyno and lakefront like this.
  4. YankeeFan

You mentioned this yesterday.

I'm not a gun enthusiast -- at all -- so this fight isn't especially personal to me.

But... I don't like to see any right taken away without going through the constitutional process. If gun rights can be taken away this way, so can any other right.

The other thing is, we've seen societies break down. Even something temporary, like the LA riots, after the Rodney King verdict, the New Orleans hurricane/flooding, or a widespread blackout can lead to lawlessness.

The business owners in Koreatown would not have been able to protect their properties with six shooters.

It's nice to think that we can count on the police, or that our way of life will continue indefinitely, but there is no guaranty of either of these things.

5. Inky_Wretch

The gun show loophole is poorly named. It's actually the private seller loophole.

If you go buy a firearm at a retailer or even a pawn shop, you've got to go through the background check system. That doesn't happen on person-to-person sales.

Neutral Corner and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

No right is being taken away. You are just using Wayne LaPierre's framing. We don't know what the Second Amendment means. We seem to agree you can't own a nuclear bomb and that a city can't enact a blanket ban on all firearms. That's it.

7. YankeeFan

Exactly. A federally registered seller, has to perform a background check, even if he's selling at a gun show.

8. Dick Whitman

This is just survivalist fantasizing. I think the Koreans business owners would be OK without an AR-15.

9. YankeeFan

Well, Bannon is already facing the death penalty, so I guess you had to rule him out as 2020 campaign manager.

But, Parscale? I thought his digital operation was the nexus of Russian collusion.

10. Inky_Wretch

How many were armed with AR or AK style weapons vs. those with pistols, traditional hunting rifles or shotguns? A quick Google image search shows a lot more of the latter than the former.

11. Inky_Wretch

But I can set up a table at a gun show and sell all day without running a single background check.

12. Dick Whitman

But you're forgetting that YF knows what liberals really want to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.