1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, they could move their hub to Birmingham too.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Notice how "making the world a better place" or "saving lives" never once enters into the equation.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Being underinformed does not equal "weren't actually interested" in reducing gun violence.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You mentioned finding areas of agreement and that's your response to somebody pointing out where that can be found!?! So, basically, you're in it for the troll.

I've heard Democrats were coming for my guns since the 1970s. They haven't gotten a single one yet. Even when GHWB banned the importation of assault-style weapons and Clinton passed the AWB.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That was Santorum.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You're doing exactly what you accuse the Democrats of, speaking out of ignorance. It's not a question of "outrunning a bullet", it's that velocity is one of the biggest factors in the amount of damage done. It's basically velocity and the weight of the bullet, the slug itself. A .223 is a tiny bullet, typically 55 grains, not much different from a .22 rimfire, but the cartridge and powder load is basically a necked down 30-06. It is going so fast that the bullet tumbles and shreds when it hits someone, and all those tiny pieces rip through tissue as they go.

Kinetic energy = mass times acceleration, right?

A .458 Winchester Magnum, intended for dangerous game in Africa, travels at 2,200 to 2,400 fps, a little slower, but weighs 400 to 500 grains, eight to ten times more. Properly placed in a charging elephant's forehead, it will drop him in his tracks and quite possibly knock him back on his ass. That's not the preferred shot, but if he's trying to run you down you take the shot you have to.

If you want to get to a really big cartridge, the .50 BMG was originally for 50 cal machine guns, either tripod mounted, or on trucks, tanks, or wing mounted in fighter planes. It's now fairly commonly used by the military in sniper rifles. Bullet up to 900 grains, travelling at up to 3,000 fps. It's a beast, accurate out to 2,000 meters, although the record sniper kill with one was at over 3,400 meters, or 2.2 miles.

Velocity is a very big deal when it comes to ammo.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If Delta tried to move to Memphis, they would probably end up in Boise. With my bags.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well yes, a lot of us do have disdain for those who believe the solutions to mass shootings is to put up a sign saying that everyone trusts one particular religion's deity.

10. Neutral Corner

We also know that ordinary private citizens cannot own particularly dangerous weapons, like true machine guns, sub-machine guns, other full automatic arms, bazookas and rocket launchers, etc. There is long established precedent for removing and/or severely limiting weapons with a lot of firepower, especially if they are being abused by criminals. The Thompson submachine gun, the "Tommy gun" which was beloved of 1920's and 30's gangsters, is a perfect example of taking an abused weapon off the market and jailing the hell out of people who have them illegally.

11. Neutral Corner

I call BS. Pretty much anything from a .22 up will do in a pinch against your average looter. He starts getting shot at, most likely he goes and loots somebody else. If he's a heavily armed gang banger and you own a shop full of custom wheels or jewelry, maybe he stays and pushes harder, but that's a special case.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He's basically just admitted he's in it for the troll. It's a really gross issue to troll on. I know I'm more earnest than most, but Jesus.

As for my non-residency: My parents have a place in Florida and live there all winter. I have lots of American friends. I'm in America every month just about. I am also capable of caring about people from countries other than my own, especially children. Borders don't make you immune to deep feelings about Parkland or Sandy Hook. They're tragedies, no matter where you live.

I also know, living somewhere else, that it doesn't have to be the way it is. I live in a different reality every day. Trust me: It's better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.