1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But the Supreme Court hasn’t held this.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Piffle. AR-15s are fun to shoot, light and easy, and you can customize the hell out of them. 99.97 of the people who own them are just ordinary folks. One of my best friends owns one. The thing is that they are also, demonstrably, THE weapon of choice for mass shooters. My buddy can go to the range with any number of other guns, or defend his house, whatever.

Taking the damn things off the market is not an attack on the ordinary owners. It is acknowledging the fact that when they are abused, they can kill dozens of people in minutes, and that's not theoretical. It happens over and over, and at some point enough is by god enough.

Just the facts ma am likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

You keep coming back to this, and it’s a complete red herring. It’s just red meat to rally the base: The cool kids don’t like you!

(And, clearly, you have been sufficiently rallied.)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't know. Took quite a bit to take this guy out.

[​IMG]

5. Neutral Corner

I'm not lawyer enough to know the ins and outs of that - but go try to buy one without a high end ATF gun collector's license. I'll hang up and listen.

edit - You CAN buy a brand new Thompson .45... but only in semi automatic. They're expensive as hell and nowhere near as good as a modern assault weapon, but you can get them. I'm talking about the banned full auto version.

T1 (T1)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Delta thing is stupid. Using the state to punish a private business is the domain of the other party.

7. Dick Whitman

I undersatand that’s the law, but the law can be challenged. We don’t know it’s constitutional. I am 99.99999999999 percent certain it is.

8. Dick Whitman

Seems like something like this could be worked out for true AR-15 enthusiasts.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And there are twice as many citizens in Georgia as there are members of the NRA nationally. The weird thing is, Cagle is the odds on favorite to win the primary and the general - I could see someone looking to make waves taking on the states biggest private employer, but this can only hurt him. He's already got the NRA votes.

10. Dick Whitman

I think he earnestly believes that gun control advocates are only in it to stick it to "rural" voters and don't care about reducing gun violence. It's an almost unfathomably cynical position, and also requires the dubious assumption that most or at least a significant number of people care about the political minutiae and maneuvering to the extent he does. But it is drummed into his head 24/7 through right-wing radio and TV.

Most of all, though, it's irrelevant.

11. Neutral Corner

I don't hold one of these, but in a general sense they require the full background check from hell. I think that there is also a fairly substantial fee for the license annually. Purchasing controlled weapons also requires a ton of very specific and exacting paperwork, and if an I isn't dotted you have to start over. It's a pretty high hurdle for ordinary Joe gun buyer. Most who have them are either high end deep pockets collectors or people who make a living as gun dealers.

There is a lower level license for antique, rare, and collectible guns also, which allows for interstate transfers, etc, but it does not allow for anything like a full auto weapon.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yes, we are going to be so far behind on many things by the time he is done. Is this what people meant by tearing down the system and draining the swamp? They are only doing one of those and doubling up on the other.
    So far behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.