1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I believe the guy who says trump showed up, looked and left. I think all past stories should be suspect. Remember there is always another side to the story with trump, always.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Blacks in South Africa are relieved that your "boycotts in general are silly" stance surfaced after the fall of Apartheid.

HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not saying it wouldn’t work if you had enough dummies who wanted to punish myriad employers and employees who had nothing to do with the gun industry.

And as BTE pointed out, most SB alternatives are even friendlier to guns and the terrible people who use them.

By all means, guys, show that you won’t patronize Florida and its gun culture by going to Alabama instead.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What you are basically saying, I think, is that an expert is more likely - as a matter of statistical probability - to express a learned, informed opinion that might be of some use to you than a high school student, even a high school student who has been through a mass shooting. That's both accurate and fair. A lot of the push back (and I'll give @QYFW credit for coming up with some specific critiques) seems to be a fancy way of arguing that your time would probably be spent more efficiently listening to people other than this batch of high school kids. That's not wrong. But if David Hogg is wrong about policy, that will come out in the wash eventually. There are valid responses to his opinions, but one of them is not, "Shut up, high school kid."

FWIW, I have long argued that Colin Kaepernick represented a lost opportunity because he simply wasn't eloquent, focused, and informed enough to survive the crucible he inserted himself into.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You’re getting a lot of DQ practice here lately.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hit both states on the same trip a couple years back!

(To visit a death row inmate.)

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Cute little response. I am very active in a number of areas including for the developmentally disabled, the mentally ill and the arts. I used the train wreck example because you thought you had a gotcha. You didn't.

8. typefitter

I don't know what that means.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Seeking end to boycott, North Carolina rescinds transgender...

"North Carolina on Thursday repealed a law restricting bathroom use for transgender people, hoping to bring back businesses and sports leagues that boycotted the Southern state because they saw the year-old measure as discriminatory."

I have also seen talk on twitter from some Hollywood "types" boycotting GA in regards to the possibility of banning gays from adoption in Georgia. (though it is not expected that the Gov. will pass it)

10. typefitter

"Boycotts in general are silly."—@QYFW

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And yet each of those folks, all the employers and all the employees, has a vote.

Perhaps for Governor Rick Scott, rated A+ by the NRA.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You may be right, but I’m not sure you’re views are universally shared by their core audience.

Like I said, it will be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.