1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Side note: This is how a “representative democracy” is supposed to work.

We elect “representatives” who ostensibly have the expertise to navigate the ins and outs of policy making in accordance with their constituents’ wishes.

Building support and momentum for a cause doesn’t require intricate knowledge of such minutiae.

Also, the sad fact is that people would try to marginalize ANYONE who says the things these kids are saying. They just have less spin to do when they can just harrumph about the “damned stoopid kids.”

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about things the way you've described them here in the last paragraph, but I think you're right. British police aren't viewed the way Americans view American police, generally speaking, and I wonder if it's because most of them are not armed.

Of course, there is less justification to arm British police, because they are unlikely to face a gun themselves.

American gun culture is like a machine that can soup up its own engine.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Boycotts are especially effective in a society that confuses Capitalism with Democracy.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's been two weeks and the Parkland shooting is every bit as much in the news as it was the day-of. Las Vegas was almost completely unmentioned at this point. Please keep attacking them (which includes the concern troll attacks, "I agree with them but their message would be better if they just did X differently).

The downside is that a very imperfect message is getting out. Las Vegas happened in a place that wasn't a school and was full of armed guards, and was perpetrated by a man well over 21 with no history of mental illness. But it's better than nothing.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You really believe that the "core audience" of Dick's Sporting Goods is AR-15 purchasers? Please. Again, it's dads buying batting gloves for their kid and a new sand wedge for themselves.

6. RickStain

Tone policing and style policing protests is never, ever about improving the way people get their message across. It's always about the privileged and powerful trying to shut down the protest. There's *never* a right way to protest to the comfortable.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In what way are his motives not altruistic? He's talking about making events like the shooting at his school less common and taking the approach he thinks is best. There is nothing in his message that shows he doesn't have good intentions.

The message isn't going to be perfect. These are teenagers. Asking them to be perfect is unfair. Then again, some conservatives are just fine with treating them unfairly because they will do anything to protect the NRA's interests,

8. Dick Whitman

That doesn't seem like "concern trolling" to me. That's just strategizing.

"Concern trolling" = "I really hope that CNN is thinking about what they are putting these kids through."

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

I know that you give zero fucks about anyone else's opinion on anything, ever (and I respect that), but this is a bridge way, way, way too far. The entire public/media relations industry is devoted to tone policing and style policing to improve the way people get their message across.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know, I'm sure you're right.

I'm not a big shopper at any of these stores, but as you point out, Dick's is more of an apparel, team sports, and golf equipment store. So, it is probably an easier decision for them than some others.

12. RickStain

There are a lot of industries that are perfectly legitimate based on acts that become aggressive when you start doing them on someone who didn’t hire you to do it to/for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.