1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is what you wrote:

It's simply not true. There are plenty of well-intentioned people, whether in the PR/media relations industry or simply interested observers, who sincerely think that a message can be conveyed more effectively than it is being conveyed. They might be right or they might be wrong, but I don't think you can accurately say that it's always a means of shutting down the protest.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Demographics at DSG show their biggest customer segment is female, 30-40s with one or more children under 18. It just edges out men in the same age range.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

There are a shit ton of cute workout clothes for sale, indeed.

And moms are often the ones picking up the stirrups, baseball pants, basketball shoes, etc.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick's is essentially a "just the basics" store. It's an inch deep and a mile wide. When I was putting together my home workout room, for example, I had to go to specialty sites once I started buying dumbbells above 50 pounds or so. They just didn't carry anything beyond that. It's a weekend warrior store.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Bernard Shaw was a Republican?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As for the kids, let me say again that they have every right to speak up and be heard.

My main issue would be that the cable and network bookers are falling all over themselves to book three kids from a school with a population of over 3,000.

Now, these kids are well spoken, so I understand, in part, why they're getting booked, but the networks are using these kids to fight for an issue, because the networks agree with them, in a way they never afforded to say the families of those killed by illegal immigrants.

As for the kids themselves, while they have mostly done well, and I believe they are earnest in what they are doing.

But, as someone here pointed out previously, one of the reasons the NRA used to be so effective was because it was mostly non-partisan, supporting members of both parties who supported 2nd Amendment rights.

@QYFW is right, when he says Hogg doesn't look good when he's defending the School Resource Officer one day, for not entering the building, then the next day blames the Governor for the SRO's inaction, while not criticizing the sheriff, who is an ally on the gun issue.

And, look, I don't even have a problem with a boycott. But, for a boycott to be successful, it needs to have wide support, and a likelihood that it will work.

And, you don't want to alienate folks who would be your supporters, by opening the issue into a broader, partisan, culture war, which I fear they are doing, and which will backfire.

So, when they target a company like FedEx, for having a plan with the NRA that is similar to plans they have, globally, with all sorts of companies, and organizations, people can see the long term consequences of participating in something like this.

When you then go after FedEx's customers, like Amazon, you risk further alienation, and failure.

I don't think many gun control supporting, urban, yuppies, are going to forego Amazon Prime, or shopping at Whole Foods, to tangentially support gun control.

With Spring Break staring in two weeks, I also don't think you're going to see a lot of college kids cancelling their trip to Panama Beach, and heading to Puerto Rico instead. Does that make them bad people?

And, if you start telling the family, that has a trip to Disney World planned for this summer, that they care more about their vacation plans than they care about the safety of school children, you're going to get the same reaction that Parker Malloy got from @typefitter when she told him he wasn't a friend of the LGBTQ community, when he supported Young Caleb Hannan, after the publication of the Dr. V article.

You have to let people be your ally. There are lots of folks who support common sense gun reforms, but by demanding ideological purity, demonizing politicians, and families, who don't agree with them on every aspect of the issue, and turning it into an all out, partisan, culture war, they are going to lose support.

And, then what? Is CNN going to be there for these kids a year from now, when their celebrity has faded? Unless they're planning on hiring them as full time contributors, CNN, MSNBC, and others are not doing them any favors by putting them on TV seven days a week.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think that what frustrates many on the right is what delights many on the left about the students. Since McCain ran, the left have been looking for people who can attack, but can't be attacked. This is a big reason that we ended up with candidate Kerry (doesn't always work out as planned). These students are just the next front in that battle.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And weekend warrior might be too extreme for it as well. More "casual hobbyist" - especially when you're looking at the fishing/hunting sections and the bicycle department. Pretty good deals on running shoes from time to time though.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.