1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What you seem to forget when you talk about the youngs being Democrats and the olds being Republicans is that every old wasn't always a Republican.

People, as they have families, start saving for a house in the suburbs, and look at how much of their paycheck goes to taxes, become Republican.

So, yes, you're growing new Democrats every time a kid turns 18, but we're growing new Republicans too, and they're former Democrats.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about shifting demographics.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Received two emails today about active shooter drills and training. One from my university and one from my 2-year-old daughter's pre-K program. This is a sick country if we're going to prioritize the right to hunt deer with an AR-15 over the lives of our children.

Iron_chet and TyWebb like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't Disney a gun-free zone?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Aren't we in "if it saves just one life" territory with this terrible idea of arming teachers?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nobody hunts with an AR-15. They are purchased solely by individuals living in total fear of the scary monsters in their heads who fantasize of killing those monsters.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like - and this is just an informed hunch, since we never, ever actually hear from the perpetrators - people are acting out a very specific fantasy to kill people with an AR-15, partially because it's easy, partially because AR-15s look cool (to them) and partially because prior mass shooters that they idolize killed people with AR-15s.

@YankeeFan and others of his ilk like to play "gotcha" and bring up guns with similar functionality, but part of the problem is literally how AR-15s look, I think. It seems like an odd premise to single them out, but I think it makes some amount of sense.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense. Young people are interested in making the world better for themselves and others because they have a long life ahead of them to reap the rewards. There's a return for them on that investment. Someone in their 60s who sees their money going to social programs that will never benefit them says, "What the fuck? Where's my ROI?"

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This isn't close to true.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What do kids know about protesting? They don't even know what a record player is.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Then they're shit hunters, because they'll mutilate their prey, rendering it either inedible or not suitable for trophy,

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nobody needs an AR-15 to hunt is perhaps a better way to say it.

Especially not chambered for ultra-high muzzle velocity combat loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.