1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My working theory on the rise of the AR's popularity is tied to how easy they are to customize. Yeah, you can buy a stock model. But then were are hundreds of after-market accessories like fore-end grips, targeting lasers, holographic sights, long-range scopes, LED-lights, bipods, etc. that can be added. Most of these customizations are very easy to do with limited tools and technical ability.

There's not much you can do with a wood stock bolt action in that regard.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are talking about law-abiding hobbyists.

I am talking about delusional mass murderers.

Different groups of people.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's just go ahead and say, too, that they look badass, and that is a huge part of their appeal.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree.

Frankly, they DO look cool. As a kid playing manhunt in the woods with my friends, we all wanted to have toy guns that looked real and looked badass. I would have wanted the squirt gun that looks like an AR-15 if it were available then. We played out war fantasies, cops and robbers, all of that kind of stuff. Most of us outgrew that phase.

Beyond the aesthetic, ARs are also easily modified, accessorized and customized, which gives the shooter a more personal connection to his weapon. "This is MY gun."

Now, if we specifically ban AR-15s, will future mass shooters find a different weapon with similar capabilities, even if it doesn't look as cool? Probably. Which is why we need to think beyond this specific weapon.

I think high-capacity magazines are an underrated contributor to the lethality of some of these shooters. Death counts would almost certainly go down even in incidents involving AR-15s if the shooters had to reload after every five shots fired.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That’s simplistic nonsense.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not really. [/Gee]

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was talking in general terms about the overall rise in the ARs popularity.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I care about keeping my money more now than I used to not because I'm indignant or greedy but because three other people need it. I imagine that's the case with a lot of people.

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
  9. bigpern23

Simplistic, yes. Nonsense? Wrong.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I have zero confidence that idiot has taken any type of action that has done anything to help anyone other than himself.

11. bigpern23

I never said anything about being indignant or greedy. I posted no judgment of either mindset. In fact, I think they're both legitimate views.

12. bigpern23

lakefront and Inky_Wretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.