1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The loudest voices after previous shootings — schools and otherwise — were the ones saying, "It's too soon to talk about this," or, "Gun-control advocates are trying to score political points from this incident." It was a pretty effective way of controlling the message. And then after a week or so, the story fades into the background and is forgotten about. This has been the big criticism of both the debate and the media coverage.

It's taken these kids, these victims, to become the louder voices, to keep the discussion going — and it's working. And while, perhaps, it might not be fair to tell gun advocates they can't argue the kids' points or critique things that David Hogg are saying, they're really mad because, for the first time, their efforts to silence that side of the debate in the wake of horrible shootings isn't working. It also doesn't help their cause that influential people on their side have called the kids actors and disrespected them because of their age or that their ridiculous safety proposals include arming schoolteachers.

I remember watching Obama's speech after Sandy Hook, when he went to Newtown and thinking that might have been the best presidential speech of my lifetime. It was powerful, emotional, persuasive. And then nothing happened. It went away, and I thought if that shooting didn't change the conversation, nothing will. Well, this one, if it's not changing the conversation, it's keeping it going, and that's different.

So, no, this isn't the media's "preferred message." Because if were, the message would have stayed in the spotlight a lot longer after Newtown, Last Vegas, etc.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Probably why the government regulates its sale and consumption so closely.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know if you saw the link I posted upstream, but a FedEx employee leaked a document which goes a long way to explain FedEx's stand on this. They have actively pursued the gun manufacturer's delivery business, and are making good money off of it. They don't want that to be public, because they don't want to deal with the resulting backlash. I don't think that FedEx's stance has as much to do with the NRA benefit as it does with not alienating the gun manufacturers.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, the intention will be there. All day they'll convince themselves they can avoid Waffle House, no problem. Then it's 3 a.m. on a Saturday morning and they're floating on a river of bourbon and... pecan waffles.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's a matter of intent. You and many others try throwing up one distraction after another to pull the discussion away from gun control because it puts politicians you support in a difficult position.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Young people have nothing to lose, are not "invested" in the system (as are homeowners, business owners, etc.) and so it's easy for them to say, "Yeah, regulate everything, take care of everyone, make sure nothing pollutes, fix every pothole, every damaged bridge or pipe." Doesn't come out of their nonexistent paycheck.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Nah. It's running like a gravy train on biscuit wheels.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, and that is why everyone saying this the media pushing a story that should be over is full of shit.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How many questions do you think Mueller asks that he doesn't already know the answers to?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" when he gets home might be the only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.