1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

“Conservative hero.” You are quite dopey tonight.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Well, your president decreed of Jones, "You have an amazing reputation."
    Many of your president's guys, including Seb Gorka, showed up at CPAC. All it takes these days is the endorsement of the serial sexual predator in the Oval Office and you're a conservative hero speaking to adoring crowds.
    Guess it's kind of sad for your president and alll of his appointees to be social pariah.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know how many are following this, but the Washington legislature has voted to make itself immune to the state open records laws. It basically closes the current records, and resets to new standards starting in July, 2018. Conveniently, this makes things like existing sexual harassment settlements and lobbying records sealed.

http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/news/...-public-disclosure/?google_editors_picks=true

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee Faces Immense Pressure To Veto Public Records Bill

"Last year, the Associated Press, the Washington Newspaper Publishers Association, and other regional news organizations sued the Legislature after it denied their requests for documentation of any sexual assault and harassment complaints filed against all 147 lawmakers.

Lawyers for the Legislature promptly appealed the ruling to the state Supreme Court then lawmakers set to work re-writing the public records law."

"Washington lawmakers passed the public records exemption bill following a January court ruling in a lawsuit brought by news organizations, including public radio. Thurston County Superior Court Judge Chris Lanese ruled that lawmakers are subject to the Public Disclosure Act and have been violating the law by refusing to turn over documents.

Those documents include emails, calendars and records related to sexual harassment. The Legislature is now appealing that ruling to the Washington Supreme Court."

"Prior to Friday’s floor vote in the Senate, the legislation’s two primary sponsors, Senate Majority Leader Sharon Nelson, D–Maury Island, and Senate Minority Leader Mark Schoesler, R–Ritzville, framed the legislation as boosting government transparency.

Supporters of the bill argue it would increase legislative transparency. Starting in July 2018, the bill would require lawmakers to release their calendars and communications with lobbyists, but not constituents.

“This bill very simply to me is going to expand and reveal lobbyist communications, which is something I think we all agree with,” said Republican state Rep. Matt Shea during the vote in the Washington House last Friday. “And currently that is not disclosable. We are expanding transparency today.”

Minutes after the bill’s passage in the Senate, it was transmitted to the House where it was given similar praise by members. Rep. Matt Shea, R–Spokane Valley, said the bill is a response to the January court order and that the Legislature is not subject to public disclosure laws because it is not a state agency.

“We’re the ones that have oversight over state agencies. We are a separate branch of government and this bill restores, very clearly, the separation of powers,” he said.

Good lord, what a bunch of bullshit.

The law passed with a veto-proof majority, but there is a lot of pressure on the Governor to veto it and make them go on record with an override vote. I hope that they can't get away with a voice vote on that and are forced to own it. Voters are, predictably, pissed.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

None of those people are conservatives.

5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

TINMHITTMAL

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I have a general idea what that acronym means, but I'm out after "There Is Nothing More Hateful ..."

Refresh my memory?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Trump is his own comms director. That’s the problem.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It ends in ... Than The Modern American Liberal. (TTMAL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.