1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas baseball coach doesn't recruit in Colorado

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 1, 2018.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But he's not saying anything "about" the player. He's communicating "to" the player via email. The player just made that communication public.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the specific rules in this case are, but in general NAIA recruiting rules are much more lax.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the NCAA, a coach is allowed to have direct electronic communication with an unsigned player during the contact period, he just can't mention his name in public.

But as Jake said, the NAIA is more or less the Wild West when it comes to rules.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In theory, the NAIA could allow athletes to receive outside income, yes? Give them a cut of jersey sales, etc.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In my days of covering jucos in California, we called this "first contact," i.e. the coaching staff couldn't reach out to an athlete out of the district, but if said player contacted him first ...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think so, yes. They are not bound by the NCAA's standards of amateurism.

The issue though, is would there be much of a value in an NAIA athlete.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If an athlete who is a one and done person anyway goes? They would.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I read the same thing and laughed my ass off.

On one hand I’m embarrassed for them for putting that in there. On the other hand, it’s hilarious.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Deven Deleon would make a great name for a movie character.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Except for the new areas of spending (environmental effects of marijuana cultivation), the tax revenue is probably replacing, in whole or in part, money already allocated to those programs. The pot taxes might be paying for EMTs to have narcan or for more beds for people trying to get off opioids, which would either go unfunded or come out of general revenues.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Understood that that is the theory. Call me a nattering nabob of negativism, but I sincerely doubt that there will be one iota of positive results for anything that isn't pot-related.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Really? States cannot deficit spend. They are always looking for money. I don't know the particulars for Colorado, but I would be surprised if there isn't some looming issue that the legislature will look to solve by taking money that used to go to drug programs before the pot tax.

Draft saved Draft deleted