1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look, you're going to have a hard time getting me worked up about "returning" to the terrible old days, where we didn't have clean water, way back in... the Obama administration.

The rules are going to be the same in 2018 as they were in 2017, and 2016.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't see this coming.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm pretty sure your soul qualifies as a hazardous waste site at this point.

HanSenSE and BadgerBeer like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Fox News? I’d be fine...

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone please help me understand international trade.

As I see it, the U.S. always is going to get the short end of any trade deal because we’re trying to deal with countries who pay their workers a small fraction of what American labor makes. That sounds like a playing field that in no way can be made level.

If a company wants to take its manufacturing to Mexico to pay workers $2 an hour instead of $30 in Ohio, Pennsylvania or Indiana, I don’t see the problem with import tariffs on that product. If Trump’s goal is to convince the executives to bring their plant back to the U.S. to avoid tariffs, I can at least understand that reasoning, if not all the residual concerns it might create down the line. It also seems to me the U.S. is fighting an uphill battle because our imports always are going to overshadow exports; we don’t make anything anymore.

I’m trying to understand why everyone's in an uproar over steel and aluminum and I’m not seein’ it. Help, please.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tilt the doctorquant bat light* into the sky.

* outline of a graphing calculator

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's Lent. We'll see him in a few weeks.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If this is what he gives up, one can only wonder what he keeps.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who the hell would want to be progressive and protect your water.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Throw in that these tariffs are going to hit Canada, South Korea, and Germany as hard or harder than China. There are all sorts of industries in this country that depend on aluminum and steel and compete internationally. Raise the price of their raw materials 10 to 25% and they can no longer sell their goods overseas. They can sell their higher priced goods at home - or they can try, because if their competitors are selling into the U.S. market, they'll be cheaper here as well.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the countries affected by US tariffs will retaliate against our exports, the things we produce more cheaply than do other countries through efficiency, not cheap labor. Think agricultural products, intellectual property, jet planes, stuff like that.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mindless consistency is the hobgoblins of small minds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.