1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true.

QYFW likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've got a lot of respect for @typefitter's career and success. Honestly. But, he's been pretty clear about not having a corporate job. He's a writer, who doesn't have to show up at the office.

I worked at the headquarters of a major airline for five years, and to do my job well, I had to understand how our business worked, who our customers were, and what motivated them.

3. YankeeFan

Who's being naive, Kay?

4. typefitter

HOW COULD AMAZON POSSIBLY OPEN A NEW HEADQUARTERS. THEY WOULD HAVE TO FIND JUST THE RIGHT PLACE AND HIRE 50,000 PEOPLE.

*200 cities start begging for them to come*

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A city in Kansas of less than 30k never should have been a hub in the first place!

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That is what I was alluding to. Sometimes writers make fine editors, but newspapers often take someone who is rarely in the newsroom and put them in charge of it. It’s usually less than optimal.

7. typefitter

I'm sure the guys in logistics would get a kick out of the guy in sponsorship marketing telling them he's got their shit down.

8. YankeeFan

You're being really silly.

The corporate jobs could be relocated relatively easily, if they really wanted to. American Airlines used to be headquartered in NYC -- not far from PanAm and TWA.

Continental was headquartered in LA at one point.

But, abandoning your largest hub, and rebuilding one in another city, that isn't already a hub for a major airline? Yeah. Good luck with that.

9. YankeeFan

Logistics?

I don't think we had a department with that name.

10. typefitter

You're right. It's obviously impossible. No major airline could ever make a new hub in America ever again. This is it. We have reached peak hub.

11. YankeeFan

OK. So, what city are you going to open up as a major hub?

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Well, actually, ummmm... don't know if you've noticed, but they DON'T exist anymore. :p

Baron Scicluna, typefitter and QYFW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.