1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Won't someone think of the buggy whip makers?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump is incredible.

He's not only taken away the Democrats' protectionist rhetoric and policies, he's gotten them to denounce them.

I guess we'll never have to defend against offshoring, trade deficits, or the loss of manufacturing jobs again. Dems get it. They not only see, but they're explaining to us, how the world, and international trade works, and is good for America.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Next, he should call for a $25.00 minimum wage, so we can hear democrats tell us what a bad idea it it.

BTExpress likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's also taken away the Republicans' free market rhetoric and gotten them to denounce that.

Never thought I'd see the day.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

This is silly.

Trump doesn't think tariffs are a good thing long term. It's about applying leverage, to try and get concessions from our trading partners.

In this regard, it's no different than a union using a strike to try and gain leverage. No one would say, "but strike isn't a good thing for you! it's going to cost you money."

Now. look, maybe it will turn out that a trade was isn't "easy to win", but it's about setting things up for renegotiating NAFTA and other trade negotiations.

Our negotiating partners need to know that we are wiling to drive the car off of the cliff, if we don't get what we want. It's one of the benefits of you're trade partners/adversaries thinking you are crazy.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Wait.

What does "driving the car off the cliff" look like, when we're talking about the economy? And are we really willing to do that?

garrow likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"We're currently doing that."

[/Ragu_short_version]

8. YankeeFan

What does a teachers' strike in West Virginia look like?

If labor threatened to strike, but never did, would the threat mean anything?

Once you can convince your negotiating partner that you're willing to take any measure necessary to achieve your desired results -- even measures that will temporarily hurt both you and the negotiating partner -- you've won half the battle.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First, put the punctuation inside the quotation marks. I know you have issues with punctuation and grammar, but that one's starting to bug me.

Second, just stop with the Trump Translator. It's just another dishonest tactic of yours, claiming that he really doesn't mean something, then making up whatever you think is a better rhetorical approach to the given issue.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

heyabbott likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem possible in the country I love, but the President of the United States called neo-Nazis "very fine people."

BadgerBeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.