1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is silly.

You don't know what Trump does or doesn't think.

garrow likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump is literally incredible.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's specifically said it's about getting better trade deals.

The tariffs aren't seen as permanent, but as a means of getting better deals.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Lol @ YF trying to claim that free trade has always been a conservative issue and that liberals have always opposed it. That’s an impressively dishonest claim even for him.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That assumes he understands what “better trade deals”are. How do you evaluate it. Is a better trade deal that more American goods are exported because imports are now more expensive? Even if the cost to Americans is increased? Are we better off if cars cost more because American steel and aluminum corporations make more money or even employ more people? Wouldn’t it be better if America had lower energy costs by improving fossil fuel alternatives. If oil and coal companies did worse but new industries replaced them, with a net increase in jobs in the new industries and their contractors, isn’t that better? Lets put a tarif on foreign energy.

BTW Trumpsaid the Tarifs aren’t a short term measure but a long term measure. Permanent? Is anything permanent?

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm going to start making a running list of things that @YankeeFan, a coffee-machine repairman, feels qualified to teach us about:

1) Airport planning
    2) International economics

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL.

There you go assuming you know what's bouncing around in Trump's head again.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I would be careful with that. The what you think you know to what you know ratio is quite high in journalism. Maybe the highest. It’s an unfortunate side effect of inflated self-importance.*

*Not aiming that at you, but it’s reality.

9. YankeeFan

Just when I was starting to feel bad about thinking you were a dick...

A. I’m not an expert on “airport planning”. I do understand how an airline hub works, what is necessary for one to work for an airline, how much an airline has invested in a hub like ATL, and how hard it would be to uproot, and find a suitable replacement.

2. I’m not an expert in international economics. I’ve listened to what Trump has said about trade and tariffs, which is more than most of the people who are commenting on the proposed tariffs.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How have you managed to avoid meeting a lawyer for four decades?

FileNotFound and QYFW like this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

And it drives me absolutely mental. Easily my biggest windmill: People who don't know what they don't know—and who often refuse to listen to actual experts on the same subjects.

12. YankeeFan

It’s not “bouncing around in his head”. He’s said it out loud.

He’s said repeatedly — since the 1980’s — that he thinks we need better trade deals, that treat us fairly.

He sees tariffs as a tool to achieve this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.