1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah let’s not be too hasty attacking people with no serious credentials or accomplishments who fancy themselves experts on broad-ranging topics

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Guy I grew up with posted a photo of his 10-year-old son at the range the other day firing one of these, a Sig Sauer 5.56. Seems crazy to me to teach your 10-year-old to shoot with this style of rifle given recent events.

[​IMG]

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@typefitter has a simple defense to this. He has no argument for this. He concedes he’s not an expert, and makes no such claim.

But, he foolishly thinks no one else might have some insight on an issue, even if they aren’t an “expert” in his mind.

He also loves to fight a straw man, as he distorts what you’ve said, so that he can mock it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My friend's daughter was shooting what looked like a hunting rifle. She runs cross country, too. I told him he should seriously see if he can get her involved in biathlon.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

How do I explain that corporations move their bases of operations all the time? Hell, part of this thread lies in the fact that some large percentage of the American manufacturing sector has moved its operations not just to a different state, but to different countries. Hubs move all the time, too. He just said so.

So, what? Delta's hub in Atlanta is big and it would be really expensive and difficult to move it. I agree! That's not the same as saying they can't move it. They can do whatever they want, and plenty of American cities would roll out lots of red carpet to welcome them. (Witness the Amazon HQ chase.)

I mean, I'm supposed to prove that an airline can move? Think about that. IT'S A FUCKING AIRLINE. ALL IT DOES IS MOVE.

6. Dick Whitman

He has company there. Thus, the invention of the, "You are responding to an imaginary post" running gag.

7. Dick Whitman

Thank you!

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Fine. He said Delta can't move their hub.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have another friend who is an avid hunter and takes his 6-year-old out with him. He's teaching the boy responsible hunting and how to safely handle a hunting rifle (I don't get the impression he has let his kids fire the gun yet. I think he carries an unloaded weapon and he's learning how to handle it). I get that.

This guy is not a hunter. He literally just brought his kid to the range so he could have the thrill of firing an assault rifle (and a Glock 9mm). That kind of thing seems crazy to me.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He says lots of things. Then he walks them back. Today he might be all for tariffs. Tomorrow he might reverse course.

My gosh, you pounded the "don't take him literally" drum for months. Now you're saying "Believe what he says!"

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I’ve said repeatedly that my knowledge is an inch deep, and a mile wide.

But, on this topic, my inch deep knowledge is more than I’ve heard from anyone else, and especially from @typefitter.

Maybe @Iron_chet, or someone else with more knowledge can check in.

And, as opposed to what @typefitter has tried to claim I’ve said, I’ve merely said that to just change hub cities, for an airline like Delta, at a hub like ATL, is a much bigger deal than people have made it out to be.

12. Dick Whitman

I think Rick was being self-deprecating there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.