1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not all of them don't care. Most of them won't. They'd rather make fun of Trump and call him an idiot because Republicans say so.

2. Factories have consistently relocated to nations where the labor is cheap. American businessmen are able to do that in part because they're not particularly hurt in the process; on the contrary, they make shitloads of money from doing it. Free trade agreements - especially NAFTA - make that easier to do and more profitable to do. Yes, it makes your goods cheaper at Wal-Mart. I don't care about my goods being cheaper and, in fact, we have too many goods as is it. Consumerism is too important to us.

3. We'll see. I'm sure that's the argument: Any time trade isn't totally, completely fucking advantageous to the rich person at the top, dammit, the rich person is gonna pass the costs on. We've been operating in that fear for a good 30 years. The wage gap widens anyway.

4. I've never claimed to be saintly or moral. I'm a Christian governed primarily by the doctrine of grace, which is to say, God is good, and thank goodness for that, because I'm a horrible, irredeemable person otherwise.

As for the part about caring more for Americans, oh please. There are record numbers of Americans dying from sheer hopelessness - as seen in addiction - and our solution to that problem is...community college training?

Drive out, right now, to the edge of any city. You'll see strip mall after strip mall, areas commercially zoned to hell, full of spas and hair salons and boutique restaurants and "children's party and play zones" and this craft pub and that craft pub and world good stores and upscale paper shops and custom design consultants and interior design consultants and ballet studios and cheerleading factories and all this service economy bullshit to the 16-to-18 percent of wealthy white Americans who can afford it on a daily basis. That, increasingly, is our economy: Hoping for hipster patrons from five-to-seven bedroom homes to wander in and eat our food or buy our shampoo or have their nails done or ask us to redo their kitchens or their basements or tutor their kids so they can get into a better college. That's where the last 20 years have gotten us.

Just wait and see where it gets us.

I mean, where you see immigrant success stories, I do too - in the micro sense. In the macro sense, I see wealthy white America happily embracing these immigrants here to, more or less, serve them. Food, car washes, whatever. I see jobs that leave America, that then cheapens good, as serving wealthy white Americans, too. Look at black America. Look at where it is today. Wealthy white America - especially liberal wealthy white America - is happy to co-opt and consume black culture - great athletes, great rappers, great actors. Do you think, or do you have any sense that, for one second, that even 10 percent of those folks would compromise 5% of their comfort and convenience for massive economic and criminal justice reform for African-Americans? I just don't.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Guarantee you 90 percent of the people on this thread had never heard of him. But maybe that says more about the thread.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is what he meant. Simple misunderstanding.

[​IMG]

lakefront, TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She's burning through her 15 minutes quicker than Devin Nunes.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Speaking of 15 minutes . . . .

Steel cage match between Dana Loesch and David Hogg. Let's get it on.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, he really needs to just suck it up and get on with his life

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on Kyle Kashuv?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FIFY.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kyle Kashuv.

February 20.

CNN.

Parkland students: This is why we're going to Florida's capital - CNN

Kyle Kashuv, a 16-year-old Stoneman Douglas student, who identifies as a Republican and a conservative, supported Donald Trump in the general election. Kashuv said he has always been pro-gun but his stance has changed some since the shooting at his school.
    "We have such a limited government that should not be totally reliant on ... the police, we should be able defend ourselves as citizens," he said. "I still totally believe that but I think that there should be a limit to who could acquire such weaponry."
    He added: "And if you're not of the right mindset, you're not mentally stable, then you should not be able to acquire that."
    Kashuv said legislation in place "is very weak on that." He said there isn't "any true argument as to why there should not be mental health restrictions."
    "Something has to be enacted to make sure this will never happen again," he said.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You couldn’t have waited until @Smallpotatoes responded, “Who the fuck is that and why should I care?”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.