1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Your post output should drop significantly now.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Probably not. But that wouldn't have helped much, because the White House was busy leaking that she was a drunk to undermine her credibility.

Is the problem here that Nunberg is of no news value? That he was impaired? Both? Neither?

"Former campaign aide defies special investigation subpoena" seems like a fairly solid news story, then or now.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"You fondle my trigger then you blame my gun." -- Fiona Apple

Sounds like she's into firearms too.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any question, except from partisan hacks, whether Nunberg's interviews were newsworthy. A former Trump aide openly speculated that Trump had done something illegal during the election campaign. Um, that's newsworthy. Make it a former Obama aide, and the usual suspects here would be calling it the crime of the century.

In other news, it took me about three years to feel confident that I know what "gaslighting" means. It will take me at least as long to understand the meaning of "virtue signalling."

The language is evolving beyond my means to absorb it. This is a depressing realization for a professional writer to make.

garrow likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Okay. How about 'really low bar for what constitutes an "aide" these days'? The guy was fired twice from the campaign before July 2015.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The problem is the uniqueness of a televised interview and its ability to be exploitative. I don’t know Nunberg’s background but I was drawn to the question of whether this situation was handled right. Not so much in a political or journalistic sense (although they both play a role as many of the responses here show), but in a moral sense. Of course, I’m not sure morality has a place in the political/journalism sphere anymore.

8. typefitter

Counterpoint: He worked for Trump for more than four years.

9. typefitter

If it's a moral question—and it might well be—then the question rests on public good of the information that might be gleaned during the interview versus the personal welfare of Nunberg. I think you could make both cases, which is why it's such an interesting debate.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I’m not arguing about newsworthiness. It “rises” to that level on most counts.

But I don’t care who it is. If you know a person with alcohol issues is drunk and you take advantage of it, you’re in the wrong.

Whether it’s a former aide to the president on television or a sorority girl at 3 a.m. in your bedroom.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

OK. But they’re not subpoenaing him for no reason.

12. typefitter

This is a bit like your chief cause: I don't (think I) agree with you, but I respect your opinion on the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.