1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Last Temptation

“The moral convictions of many evangelical leaders have become a function of their partisan identification. This is not mere gullibility; it is utter corruption. Blinded by political tribalism and hatred for their political opponents, these leaders can’t see how they are undermining the causes to which they once dedicated their lives. Little remains of a distinctly Christian public witness.”

Inky_Wretch and heyabbott like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

When Obama was in office, 30% of evangelicals said they'd forgive personal sins of POTUS. Now it's at 72%.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you. And this is not to minimize the joke of the people Trump has gotten to run most of the government agencies.

At the same time, the Department of Education is ridiculously unnecessary (it didn't even exist until 1979) -- in terms of actual public education at the local level -- and it has been a giant, inefficient boondoggle of 10s of billions of dollars a year. So I could give two craps who is running it, and if she is going to do anything to scale back its influence it would be fine by me -- if she could somehow keep her mouth shut and not be offensive.

At the same time, the conflict for someone like me is two fold: 1) She is a moron. For example, when she said that historically black colleges were pioneers of "choice." It was offensive, showed a clueless lack of any historical context, and that alone should disqualify her. And then there is that whole "choice" thing. I have no problem with charter schools as a concept if some can figure out a financial model to make one work. But where people like her take it is just more of the "swamp" their rhetoric says they are there to clean up. We inefficiently blow through a staggering amount of money (and we are running massive debt to do things like this) that gets handed out corruptly by the Department of Education. Obviously, that has done little by way of tangible "results" in educational accomplishment over the years. But that is even beside the point. The Democrats have their preferred groups that they want to grease with all of that money -- the labor unions, for example, are a big beneficiary, buying votes via Pell Grants are another -- at the expense of others who are on the hook for all of that bad debt. People like Devos have their preferred groups -- those privately run charter schools, which has become an industry I can only compare to the privately run prisons that created a country that is corruptly handing out money to keep more people than anywhere in the world imprisoned.

Either way, I just see corruption and waste and digging holes deeper. What Trump did was appoint: 1) absolute dolts, such as her, Rick Perry, Ben Carson, Ryan Zinke, etc. to run these agencies. 2) It was passive aggressive, because they all have expressed their desire to do away with the very agencies they are running. If that is your goal, then MAKE IT your goal. Don't play games with it. 3) On top of it, the stories over the last few weeks, show just how out of touch each of the people I named is. The expensive furniture Ben Carson's wife was buying at HUD to remodel. The $150,000 doors Zinke had them buy for his office. It's just more of when Tom Price was chartering jets around the world for him and his wife (as our debt runs up) before he got the heave ho. So that leaves us with a passive aggressive structure, being run by people who seem clueless, and are bringing the usual level of corruption to DC -- as we dig ourselves in deeper into what is going to be a fiscal crisis. It's just lovely.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They are neither religious nor Christian. They are a radical, intransigent political philosophy dedeciated to a single party Police state that controls both social behavior and economic planning.

Alma likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As always, the glory hounds aren't the people with boots on the ground. The "preachers" who fly private jets while wearing Armani suits have always hurt the faith. Luckily, there are still plenty of people in blue jeans who are feeding the hungry and clothing the homeless.

lakefront likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think DeVos is dumb. I think she’s a phony who uses vapid, blank answers as a cover for dismantling public education.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s true. It’s very true.

They lost their way. Two issues - abortion and gay marriage - caused them to jump in bed with people who otherwise didn’t give two shits about Christianity.

It’s sad as hell.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Economic anxiety

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She may not be stupid, but when it comes to education, she is ignorant. And clearly she doesn't feel the need to learn her job. She is just using it to further her goal of stealing as much as she can from public education to funnel funds into private schools.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Assuming these stats are accurate, does that mean evangelicals are racist?

Asking for a friend.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I saw DeVos on the Today show this morning. The living example of prevaricate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.