1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

I’m not sure that Washington is doing anything to harm these communities. To be honest, a lot of it is just scapegoating. And that’s why you see more xenophobia and racism in these communities. There’s a sense that things are going badly, and the impulse is to blame “others.” ...

I grew up in rural America; I still have a great deal of affection for rural America. But I find a lot of this quite depressing. Part of me wants to take some of these people, shake them up, and tell them to “move on.” This is the 21st century, after all. Quit listening to Rush Limbaugh and try to think as clearly as you can about what’s going on.

But another part of me says it’s important to understand where they’re coming from and not simply dismiss them as disconnected or out of touch with reality. If they feel threatened by racial diversity or homosexuality or abortion or whatever it might be, I want to understand why they feel that way. As a scholar, that’s the only way I’m going to learn anything. ...

We found town managers and elected officials who were frustrated over the generalized anger toward Washington because it inhibited practical solutions from being pursued. These officials knew they had to secure grants from the federal government, for instance, but found it difficult to do that when local elections were won by far-right candidates.

I think the concerns about moral decline often miss the mark. I think a lot of white Americans in these small towns are simply reacting against a country that is becoming more diverse — racially, religiously, and culturally. They just don’t how to deal with it. And that’s why you’re seeing this spike in white nationalism.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He can count to 6.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never change, New York Post.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with the Rs is, you could say that about any R in a competitive race. Give Saccone credit - it isn't like he committed a bad gaffe. With the registration edge in that district, it's turnout. I suspect the R turnout will be about normal, but D turnout will be higher than normal. Which means its a Trump loss. And Lamb really was a great candidate.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Marla said: Donald. Give me "6 inches" and hurt me! So Donnie did her "3 times" and hit her in the head with a brick!

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Why is she talking about Donald's dick?

HanSenSE and Slacker like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not so fast: lead is down under 2,500 with 80 precincts to go

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's why I wrote might, not will. I was mostly posing that as a commentary on the gerrymandering that created the district.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Winning is all that matters.
    But it’s had 18 Republican and 2 Democrats since 1879.
    The last democrat was redistricted to Pa-14 in 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.