1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

No doubt Harris will "capitalize" on her newfound fame.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember like a year ago when Warren was the "I'm not sexist, I just hate Hillary Clinton, I could respect someone like Warren" woman.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Umm. I hold no one in contempt.

I think being a coal miner or a textile worker is perfectly noble employment.

But the people and the politicians arguing we should cling to the past and the diminishing handful of jobs created there, are dangerously wrong.

Lying to the electorate, and saying we'll create 5000 new jobs with a steel tariff while not mentioning the 100000 jobs it will cost us isn't really a way forward.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Of course, all true. Instead of weaponizing their anger an effort ought to be made to understand it. And the child needs to be told (delicately as ever) why he can't fly.

5. RickStain

I hold contempt for them. And the lesson I've learned is to be more open about it. We will never save them or convert them. We can only outvote them.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because the things we know for sure about Trump voters are their open-mindedness and their willingness to engage in civil debate and reach compromise.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but if the Dems don't run candidates who can connect with the voters in their district, if their candidates must pass a national litmus test, then a golden chance to gain on the R's will be squandered.

Sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good enough.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It would be good for the country if they got their shit together. That is the lesson I learned.
    A nation cannot survive its fools. 2016-18 proved Cicero wrong.

9. RickStain

Agreed. But understand what “connect with their voters” means in all contexts. A centrist blue dog white men in Trump +20 districts? Fine. But make the white male version of centrism the focal point of your 2018 campaign and you lose more enthusiasm than you gain.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wait, my hometown still has gas streetlights, and a guy goes around adjusting them. Solid blue town, too.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.