1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OCR got the double-whammy a few years ago being bought by an inept hedge fund -- Kushner and Spitz were the culprits.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

An epic disaster on such a large scale.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A hedge fund has been running CSX for the past year, a quick Google will reveal the horrendous result. Stock prices aren't the be-all end-all for running a business, particularly where lives are at stake.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many are left in the sports section? How many did the Rocky have when it closed. Staffing must of been similar to the Post at that time. I am just wondering about how much staff has been reduced in nine years?

Did Jhabvala get fired. She was on the Broncos. Will the Post only have one staffer on the Broncos?

5. MileHigh

Jhabvala had a byline this morning on the Broncos so perhaps Alden hasn't seen the tweet yet. I want to say the Rocky newsroom was about 160-ish when the guillotine dropped.

6. I was told the actual layoffs at the Denver Post aren't going to happen for a couple weeks. Yesterday was just an announcement that they are coming. So no actual names yet.

7. MileHigh

There are nine sports reporters. two producers and four managers. If you go by 30 percent cuts, that's three reporters and one manager.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As the Post has cut staff in sports I have noticed they have relied more and more on their sister papers in Boulder County and Loveland to provide material on CU and CSU. Do you know if there is anything in the union contract that limits how much work DFM can outsurce. For example, what is stop Loveland from hiring an Avalanche beat reporter at Loveland wages and the Post axing their guy?

9. MileHigh

That I do not know, but yes, lots of stories in print and online come from the outlying papers.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is kind of a random question - but considering the downturn in manufacturing jobs, coal jobs etc., and government efforts to help people in those industries - is there anything government can do or should do to help people affected by the job losses in the news industry? It isn't just newspapers, but radio and TV as well. Seems like most of the government "help" has only served to make it easier for companies to do "more" with less.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted