1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If that started happening with regularity, and the vehicle lobby routinely blocked safety measures that could keep it from happening, I would absolutely blame them.

But for this analogy to work, cars would have to be significantly less useful than they are now, and it would have to be a special kind of car designed specifically to kill as many people as possible when plowed into a crowd.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That would get rid of smallpotatoes, too!

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You'll have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are cars we don't allow on the road because they are overpowered for the average person. Wouldn't automatic weapons be a similar situation?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is rich. A republican (former governor, current interim president) is whining in this story about state legislative cuts to Michigan State University. That's something his party has perfected nationwide in order to curb that damned libruhl academia.
    Michigan State's John Engler blasts ESPN's sexual assault history

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The incredibly stupid thing about the car analogy is that cars are heavily regulated, their use is heavily regulated, and as a result deaths have gone down considerably. It's literally the perfect example of what should happen with guns, and why it would work.

TyWebb, Big Circus, bigpern23 and 7 others like this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That is the case with automatic weapons.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

My preference is to ban any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds ... and I'd really prefer it to be six rounds.

For rifles and for handguns, too. Guns are for defense, not for shooting dozens of people at once. Make it harder.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Exactly. License, registration, insurance, and reasonable limits on operation, with considerable punishments for violations. And deaths have gone down while usage has gone up! Amazing.

Thank God cars weren't around in the 1780s.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Could this not be extended to semi-automatic weapons? I honestly have no problem with people owing hunting rifles and even hand guns if they can demonstrate a need for them. However, I want them to be rigorously trained on the use and proper storage of these weapons. I don't think that is too much to ask.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The regulations (yearly registration renewal, state inspections, etc.) are a money grab and have little to do with carefully making sure people and their cars are "fit" to drive. If the insurance regulation was worth a shit, I would not need Uninsured Motorist insurance.

My 90-year-old father, three months removed from surgery to repair a broken hip and whose most recent accident was the result of nodding off at the wheel, can still drive anywhere he chooses. As long as he mails in a couple of checks a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.