1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Old people, technology and cars - that's a winning combination. :(

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The problem isn't the talk. It's the ability to enforce your intentions if you live far away. You can take the keys, but what if the parent simply goes to a locksmith? If you don't live close enough to monitor, you are limited in your abilities.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe. But autonomous vehicles probably create a whole new set of issues that may take time to work out -- and might even make it so they aren't viable. Those cars are going to be very sensitive to pedestrians and obstacles to make sure that they are not a danger and mowing down people. But if that is the case, and you put them in Manhattan, for example, there will almost certainly be gridlock. People who walk in Manhattan can be pretty aggressive -- they are in a rush. Knowing that the autonomous vehicles will stop before they hit a person, people will just start crossing streets wherever and whenever they want. And the result will likely be gridlock.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Simple fix is to allow drivers to set the braking sensitivity level from Canadian (will stop on a dime for a rabbit) to New Yorker (will mow down pedestrians who aren't fast enough to get out of the way, and flip them the bird after running them over). Problem solved.

BadgerBeer and Baron Scicluna like this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The TV script that I'm working is set about 20 years in the future. We had a "learning to drive" scene before realizing that it might be a moot point. Decided that a responsible parent would still want his or her children to learn how to drive, just in case. Also wanted the goddamn scene.

Either way, it feels like we're a long way from nobody driving. Never mind all the people who will still want to drive. Like me. I would not be happy in an autonomous vehicle.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The rules in Tennessee. where my dad lives: "Licenses are renewed every five years, with no special provisions for older drivers. A bill introduced in 2006 to require vision and driving tests for seniors never advanced in the legislature."

And what do you envision these cars costing?

7. typefitter

I just have to accept that I will never understand America.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm half with you. For certain trips - driving to the cabin on dirt roads or running errands on a spring day with the top down on my Jeep - I'd never give up the steering wheel. But driving across Kansas to Denver? Or through the traffic nightmare that is Mobile to Gulf Shores on a Saturday in June? Give me the robot car.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was weird. Just as I was reading this, I heard a report saying that Uber is pausing its autonomous vehicle program in the cities it has been testing it out after an accident in Arizona.

10. typefitter

What will be interesting is if autonomous vehicles result in, say, 20 percent fewer accidents, but still have plenty of accidents. I'm not sure people would accept them, even if there was a provable reduction. It's like they need to be perfect or won't happen.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the primary reasons autonomous vehicles will never catch on are psychological. 1. Many people like driving . 2. One reason they do is that it gives them control over a part of their life that consumes a good deal of time, maybe the only part where they have control. 3. Autonomous vehicle equals total loss of said control.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What if the person with a robot car is inexcusably lax about routine maintenance?

Car senses its tires are bald or that its brakes are about to go and won't start?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.