1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well that, and the New Testament insistence on lowering corporate tax rates.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This is a monumental day.

Mike Lupica, for the first time in 28 years, made me laugh at something he's written or said.

I'm stunned. I need to have a cake made.

HanSenSE and BadgerBeer like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She'll make you one soon as her husband gets back with the express lane list of ingredients.

lakefront likes this.
  5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s odd how few elections Republicans can win without shenanigans. It’s almost as if the public is rejecting their policies.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I posted this earlier and brought it up again when somebody mentioned Republicans putting up candidates with no real qualifications for the job. All Nixon has on her side is name recognition. Most of what I've read focuses on the possibility of her becoming the first female governor of New York, or the first who was openly gay. Those factors could get her some votes, but none of them actually qualifies her for the job.

I'd be happy to see a qualified Democrat challenge Cuomo, regardless of the person's gender or sexual orientation. But a minor celebrity who hasn't even run for public office before? Not interested.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They didn't want to do it, because they knew they'd lose. There's a significant minority of New York Democrats who loathe Cuomo and will support Nixon just because of that. Not enough to win, but enough to make him work for it. But a candidate like Nixon was more likely to appear to fill that void than an experienced pol, because experienced pols care about not losing.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't really see the value in making him work for it, though perhaps she can force a valuable discussion about education. She is an advocate for public education, which is a target for both parties in recent years.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What does anyone anywhere think a "qualification" for politics might be?

The whole point of the Republic at the founding was the chance for any citizen from any background to serve their term and then return home.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

At the very least, one shouldn’t be a stark raving moron without even basic human decency who may or may not be a traitor to this country.

HanSenSE, BadgerBeer and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One can hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.