1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I agree unfortunately. A good old fashioned war could get real 'murica back to the polls in a hurry.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

So not the very best people?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How did this guy make it through West Point and Harvard Business School?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has Reed been on a space station for the last couple of years? Is he missing his left slipper?

I will say this though. I hope the organizers of the rallies stick with it - whether it is this issue or something else. I imagine today's efforts have been quite encouraging. The challenge will come when you organize an event and only have 30 people show up and you know most of those attending.
    And then come back after that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not if we lose. Which we very well might. Or there's a lot of casualties, which I guarantee there will be.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely true. A lot can happen between now and then. A broad majority of Americans will prefer Democratic rule in November, and a decent majority will vote for that. But will that be enough to win given all the inherent privileges the party of white men have given themselves over centuries in the way the rules are written? It'll be close.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There you go projecting your bullshit onto others again. You've been playing understudy to YankeeFan, yet you claim he and I are the ones stealing somebody else's shtick. Try a tiny shred of honesty for a change of pace, please.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But it's a racist country, so we shouldn't be so sure the Democrats will prevail.

edit: read your next post, sounded at first like you were putting it down as a win.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What I get a kick out of is one of the guys who responded in the comments thread, who is hardly the most pious person around, noted "Most of those kids are in favor of abortion."
    I really don't care about someone who doesn't act the part of being a Christian has to say about abortion or gay marriage or anything of the sort.

10. DanOregon

The thing about the leaks coming out of the West Wing - there is one person with an office there the President can't fire - and he is also part of the National Security Council... just saying.

garrow likes this.
  11. DanOregon

It's funny. These kids didn't disrupt traffic, break windows or "ruin" someone's National Anthem experience - and still........."No - you're doing it wrong."

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I disagree with Mr. Reed's position on guns. I disagree with where he's aiming his ire, too.

But it's not a stupid post.

Using children as a play at emotional appeal is an old story. It was used masterfully to help pass Prohibition back in the day. Mothers and kids - that was the argument for Prohibition. All that got us was the mob running bootlegging operations.

I watched some of the coverage today. I wasn't heartened by all of it. There is absolutely a kind of well-crafted, emotional manipulation at work here, and there's some "this is the worst country EVER" dramatic sentiment that naturally comes off teenagers and pre-teens.

Putting the Parkland kids out front suggests the ferocity with which gun control advocates - and I'm one - will argue their point. It portends severe restrictions in perhaps a decade's time. Conservatives could placate those kids now, or wait until these children, and many like them, are in the thick of elections in 2, 6, 10, 14 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.