1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Zero of the 17s will.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm hearing A LOT of "these kids will be turning 18 soon!" giddiness, as if kids do not turn 18 every single year.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I commented on one of his posts and now I'm blocked.

I must have triggered the snowflake.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Easy there, Wooderson.

HC likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One can read things many ways, of course - and, again, I’m pro gun control - but I read that sentence differently than you. Not charitably, per se, but also not coming from an idiot.

I think he’s put off by the tone of the kids. In the sense that it’s a policy debate and I have to pretend these kids, masterfully galvanized by advocacy groups, are sui generis on this topic, I guess I’ll get fatigued soon, too. But I know why it’s kids. It’s very effective. Adults - especially millennials - imbue children (themselves grown old) with a special insight they do not have, and, thus, make a deeper impression.

But, anyway, I can see what the guy’s reacting to. The stridency. The I’m-a-victim-so-HEAR-ME culture.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which is why I wrote 2, 6, 10, 14. Because usually what happens is kids get activated late in high school, then they roll off to college, where it’s time for four years of socialization and revelry in personal freedom. (At least along American kids. Foreign students come to college and mean business.)

The right’s best hope is that these kids, like most American kids - and arguably most kids around the world - prefer self-actualization and personal enlightenment and consumerism in adulthood over communal power. You know, the whole “I would give $2,000 to political cause X, but I’d really love a new minimalist kitchen with granite countertops, so...”

The best defense conservatism has is consumerism. If our collective youth ever looked around and said “y’know, I don’t think I need a $3000 engagement ring and $42,000 wedding” we’d be in for something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Then they get married, buy a house, have kids, start saving money, decide they really want to hold on to that money . . . and turn conservative.

Alma likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If they're 18 by voting day, which is what I was going for.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, you were technically correct. I should have been more clear. I'll cardio another mile this week as punishment.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I responded to a FB poster who said the same thing by telling him that a woman having an abortion posed no threat to MY kids in school.

They grumbled how I was against freedum and ended the discussion.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It does sound odd, but once the lock down is announced they grab something and are ready to throw it. So either they are in the corner cowering or they are in the corner ready to fight back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.