1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Go on some anti-abortion Facebook pages. You'll see an awful lot of anti-aborts asking why can't women just not have sex?

It's awfully interesting, though, when you get the anti-aborts who screech about Margaret Sanger and then suggest birth control as an alternative.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he's saying that the men who are anti-abortion are more interested in dominating women than they are in preventing abortions. I'm not saying I agree with him. I'm not you, so I'm not going to lump everybody I disagree with together. Some of the people who oppose abortion really do so because they believe it is immoral, but he is right about some of them. There are members of the anti-abortion movement who don't respect women's rights to control their own lives.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You lose all credibility on this issue when you use the term “anti-aborts.”

QYFW likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That seems like an overly simplistic excuse to dismiss the words of somebody whose opinion you don't like.

People who are anti-abortion is a little clunky. I don't like his term for it, either, but I don't think it is disqualifying in the discussion.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Was proud to join 15,000-plus at the Phoenix March of Our Lives event with my 16-year-old daughter (we're here visiting my parents).

One middle-aged man's opinions:
    1. Very impressed not just by the turnout, but for the lack of outbursts between young gun control demonstrators and the two dozen or so "don't tread on me" folks carrying AR-15s and preaching their tired gospel about the Second Amendment being the only thing that protects freedom. Those folks were simply a fly on the windshield. Keep moving forward.
    2. Among the one hour of speakers, only one congressman (perhaps the only one in AZ who supports gun control), and he had the good sense to speak for less than a minute. Young people and those personally affected by gun violence dominated the rally, and almost all of them rose to the occasion.
    3. I respect the convictions of conservatives and their right to express them, but they'll never touch the sense of humor we lefties have! (QYFW being a noted exception). Some great signs and costumes on display here in Phoenix.
    4. Final point -- if anyone thinks this is just kids, think again. I'd say at least two-thirds of the Phoenix crowd was adults, ranging from teachers in their 20s and 30s to parents to grandparents (and even some great-grandparents). Need to keep the energy going through November and beyond.
    -30-​

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You're walking back your sweepingly bullshit statement.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about teenagers. They have older brothers and sisters, parents, and many have grandparents. They have a circle of voters they can influence even if they cannot vote themselves.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yeah, my folks and other relatives always took a moment to listen to teen me spout bullshit about politics. Yeah, that's what happened.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You really are angry today. Children influence their parents all the time in many ways, including the political sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.