1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Remington files for bankruptcy:

Redirect Notice

It’s almost like these guys don’t know what to do without a gun-snatching Democratic boogeyman in the White House.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It might actually help Trump a little if it came out he bumped fuzzies with Omarosa.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Schools are much safer from school shootings than they were 25 years ago.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/...e-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

The biggest change really in crime in America was the 1994 crime bill, which put more cops on the streets, locked up more criminals for longer periods of time and dramatically reduced all kinds of crime. One could also argue it created more of a police state than we’ve ever had and is the primary source of skyrocketing incarceration rates in America.

It’s also called by its critics a shining example of systemic racism.

That said, it helped dramatically reduce school shootings - as did the Brady bill.

Which is why all of this is much trickier than some think. Any significant changes to gun law in America *will* adversely affect the poor more than the rich, which means it’ll affect black Americans more, which will lock more of them up, which will perpetuate the cycle of systemic racism.

But it’ll probably save lives, too.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That also doesn’t even take into account the hundreds of other ways and places kids get shot and killed in this country.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Doesn't include colleges either, which have a higher percentage of incidents. I guess what bugged me about Kirk's stats is that shootings just don't affect those who are killed. Or seriously injured. They traumatize and define an entire community.
    I'm sure most of the Parkman students are most upset that nothing seems to be done, they don't want the deaths and injuries of their friends to be "just another" school shooting that will be forgotten as soon as the next one happens.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Back to the March: one of the speakers was an 11-year-old girl. Her speech was three minutes long and says in part:

“It is my privilege to be here today and I am indeed full of privilege - my voice has been heard. People have said I am too young to have these thoughts on my own. People have said I am a tool of some nameless adult. It’s not true. My friends and I might still be eleven, and we might still be in elementary school, but we know - we know life isn’t equal for everyone and we know what is right and wrong. We also know we stand in the shadow of the Capitol and we know we have seven short years until we too have the right to vote. So I am here today to honor the words of Toni Morrison, ‘if there is a book that you want to read that hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.’ I urge everyone here and everyone who hears my voice to join me in telling the stories that aren’t told, to honor the girls, the women of color who are murdered at disproportionate rates in this nation. I urge each of you to help me write the narrative for this world and understand so that these girls and women are never forgotten.”

As a former journalist should I be skeptical? I read the WaPo story on this girl and she seems very conversant and precocious in her interviews.

That said, it seems like a big leap for an 11-year-old to accept a speech invite on a Thursday, write this in two days, and have it self-consciously acknowledge criticism that they may not be her words, much less have a concept of privilege that’s right out of a liberal academic playbook. Toni Morrison writes way above an 11-year-old’s level of reading, so that’s an interesting name drop, although she could have just found that quote online. But, yeah. Pretty sophisticated speech, the one that says “I know you think I didn’t write this.”

I concede there’s a possibility I’m a cynic in this one. I’m a bit of a cynic in general, but perhaps too much so in this case.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The chances of any individual building being struck by lightning are infinitesimal.

And yet we put lightning rods on all of them.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

An impeachment damages the brand. Period. Al Gore had less baggage than Bill Clinton, but no Dems were eager to see Bill ousted in favor of Al.

It's one of 23,469,105,285 inaccurate/misrepresenting memes on the web. And the only one that people are rushing to "correct."

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Like arming teachers and adding police officers to schools and hardening the targets?

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Opinion | Donald Trump: Man at War

“Aides said there was no grand strategy to the president’s actions, and that he got up each morning this week not knowing what he would do. Much as he did as a New York businessman at Trump Tower, Mr. Trump watched television, reacted to what he saw on television and then reacted to the reaction.”

This is all gut and instinct. This is all reactionary emoting by a man of poor character, one addicted to affirmation. He desperately needs to be the king-of-every-hill he sees in the mirror: He was the ladies’ man, businessman, smartest man, toughest man. There was nothing beyond him, and he didn’t have to follow the rules, he only had to follow his instincts.

But Washington politics is a long way from New York City real estate. Wrangling Senate votes is a long way from prowling for playmates. This is the big leagues and this little man is feeling the stress and strain of it.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Remington is doing in all this?

SnarkShark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.