1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This oughta deter even the hardiest burglar ...

[​IMG]

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The chances of us having a bomb in our shoes on an airplane flight is super-infinitesimal. Yet, a bunch of us have to take off our shoes at security.

FileNotFound and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

impeccable timing

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It fractures reason and all assumptions of sanity that the President of the United States called neo-Nazis "very fine people".

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I absolutely understand where you are coming from on this one. But I will say that I have had some opportunities to interact with a number of kids that age and slightly older (wow, that sounds weird and creepy) and I am constantly amazed at their intelligence and their communication skills. I have interviewed kids from a local STEM school and they could easily have been on a stage this weekend and I would have no doubt they would have done extremely well.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's kids like this - along with TV and movies - who really distort how non-parents like me view children.

After four decades of this and little first-hand experience, you expect them to talk like they just walked out of a Peanuts strip. Then I go to my sister's house for Christmas and my nine-and-ten-year-old nieces are running helter-skelter around the kitchen, screaming like savages and hurling Lego pieces at each other.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am blown away by the communication skills, message control, delivery, poise. I'll never make fun of this generation again.

FileNotFound, BadgerBeer and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think that's being generous re: her reasoning. My impression was she only fucked him because he took off his pants and she felt trapped.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More like impeccable Russian meddling

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    garrow likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't mean the precocious nature of the speech.

I do mean the self-awareness of it. That, in three minutes, one of the things a 11-year-old kid would want to address - would think to address - is that the conservative trope that these kids are being coached by "nameless" adults.

And I do mean that the speech became a clothesline not so much for Parkland, but the "disproportionate rates" at which black women are killed. The three girls referenced in her speech were killed by handguns, in separate incidents. Their cases, while tragic, are tangential to the issue at hand. One of the three may have been killed while she and her boyfriend were fooling around pointing guns at each other for social media.

It's this idea - let's pick three unrelated incidents and highlight them at a Parkland rally event - that separates the signified from the signifier, if you will. And when it's a 11-year-old girl doing it, however smart she is, it feels...wrong. This same kid had a press packet at her school walkout. This same kid's mom helped raise more than $100 million for the NRCC in 1996.

That's the National Republican Congressional Committee.

You feel me? Maybe I'm just too cynical.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that's a guy with a Barrett sniper rifle in front of a Remington booth at a show. It fires a .50 BMG, same as a .50 cal machine gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.