1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's really remarkable to see the right wing wackos freaking out over this tidal change in their world, isn't it?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just the opposite. I'm increasingly less interested in the self-interested lies we tell ourselves as a society and looking at it from a more realistic point of view.

I've really gotten into history books and podcasts about the rise and fall of empires. It's so easy for a historian to make a judgment after the fact about a society's underpinnings and both their strengths and weaknesses. "Rome ascended quickly due to their political system of encouraging ambitions of a balance of rival families, which gave them a leadership advantage over hereditary monarchies in the region. But their constitution was designed for a small city-state and was ill-equipped for handling the needs of the empire, while traditionalists resisted efforts to address the problems." Easy to judge from the outside.

Americans today were raised in the era of American hegemony, or have at least lived in it for decades. They've bought all the propaganda they were taught along the way. When future historians, if we are so lucky as a species to survive that long, address us, they'll see some very obvious and glaring flaws that we've convinced ourselves don't exist, because they weren't part of the press release version of civics we were taught growing up.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Except Kyle Kashuv's parents, who have been textbook in their raising of a bright, articulate independent-thinking young adult.

TowelWaver and BadgerBeer like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The kids wouldn't have to be in the media spotlight if the adults were having an honest conversation about the issue instead of cheap slogans, conspiracy theories and half-baked ideas that are easily refuted by the sane.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Q is just concern trolling. He isn’t worried about their mental health. He wants them to shut up, because he knows when they talk it is bad for his laundry.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I do think we need to see more faces and hear more voices. I respect these kids but it's starting to look like that Helen/Christian Slater movie from the 80s.
    Or at least the irrepressible cynical side of me is telling me that.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It seems his parents at least told him, "Hey, if you want to convince people of anything, you can't talk like a foul-mouthed child and you can't just say things repeatedly that aren't true."

Probably for his own good as well that the media is not giving him a daily opportunity to make a fool of himself in front of millions.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Plenty of fine people on both sides.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna and TowelWaver like this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What are they saying that's not true?

How are they making fools out of themselves?

I know, I know, bummer their friends died and they could have too, but you're a selfish asshole who doesn't want to give up his AR-15 penis extender.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No, not at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.