1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So what?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A "truther" is someone who doesn't believe it happened. It happened.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is beyond capable. C'mon now.

It's damned effective. I'm willing to concede she wrote the whole thing, but let's not pretend it's commonplace. There are columnists all over America who aren't producing that good of an op-ed in that tight of space.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. Didn't call anybody a liar or even imply it. I asked "is it shaped by an adult?" That isn't "Person A made it up." It's "man, that's cogent, and the subtext is interesting." Keep in mind, speechwriters shape stuff for politicians all the time. Brilliant people - smarter than you and I - get a spit and polish on a speech from a professional.

2. I've read a lot of college writing. I'll leave it at that. It ain't this good, but, then, I want to give some leeway that the college from which I've read that writing isn't as good as the best colleges. So I picked two essays that got kids into every Ivy.

3. The reason I even bring it up is that the strength of these kids' advocacy is the sincerity and intensity of it - the direct impact, if you will. I, unlike others, didn't mind some of the students who were just outright pissed off at the beginning. I can handle the raw anger, the scattershot opinions - that's fine by me. That's raw, real. But I sense the arguments getting more sophisticated and, on some level, beyond gun control. Almost like, along with gun control, there's this whole host of other issues tied to it. And that's a sophisticated arugment for kids to make.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And again, you have absolutely no evidence at all that she didn't make it.

Also, you absolutely did imply she didn't make the argument. Maybe you didn't intend to do it, but there is no question it's the effect of what you wrote.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, even David Hogg said in Time magazine, "We're getting too much help."

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

HOW DO YOU KNOW HE WASN'T LYING?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was Jaclyn Corin, but this does give a sense of the help they’re getting.

They’ve raised more than $4 million from small donors on the crowdfunding site GoFundMe, plus a couple million more from celebrities like George and Amal Clooney, Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey. A top Hollywood PR firm is assisting with press requests pro bono, and Women’s March organizer Deena Katz is volunteering as a consultant on the march. The gun-reform advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety, backed by billionaire former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, has given out more than $1 million in grants to local organizers planning sibling marches around the country, and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is sending busloads of kids to Washington, D.C. Democratic megadonor Tom Steyer pledged $1 million to gun-safety groups’ efforts to register more high school students to vote. “Our biggest problem is that we’re getting too much help,” says Corin.”

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, now we know he didn't say it.

Now you can identify with this bird.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Look: what these kids are doing is going to work. Maybe not in the next year, but over the next decade, it’ll happen. They broke through. This is all very effective. I think the kids were sincere in their desire to change things, and the apparatus to make change - the millions in advocacy dollars - made it happen. A news media more than ready to dive into this stuff helped, too.

The disdain and insults you’re seeing from conservative politicians is really fear and desperation, because they know there’s no good defense against kids walking out of school and giving speeches. They know this is it, the thing that broke through.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to be pointed to the way of the future by the likes of 76-year-old McConnell and 84-year-old Grassley, to name but two - I don't care if you're 16 or 36.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, other than that amendment.

Look, I have no doubt new laws will be passed. I also have no doubt their effect will be minimal.

Tens of millions of people in this country love their guns too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.