1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Gun ownership is unregulated? Shit, guess I’ll stop and pick one up on the way to work today.

Also, I would love for every Democrat running for election from here on out to read your rant verbatim.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is this willful ignorance or a failure in reading comprehension? Ragu didn't say we have unregulated gun ownership. He is saying that the arguments against gun control pushed by the NRA and like-minded folks misrepresent the second amendment, claiming it gives them the right to fight against any regulation of guns.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Failure. Bingo!
    Reading comprehension. Bingo!

No one is advocating unregulated gun ownership. There’s a name for such a suggestion.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Unregulated?

[​IMG]

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plenty of states with no waiting period. Fill out the background check, and you can get that 12-gauge at WalMart on the way home.

Lots of other states have no background check on private sales.

So if you want to pick up a little something at the gun show, by all means do.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. ... We have regulated gun ownership. ... which has translated in practice to a guy shooting up a crowd in Las Vegas and a kid shooting up a school in Florida, among recent incidents in which lots of people died and were injured.

And with that out of the way. ... the second amendment still wasn't meant to create some individual right to own weapons. ... to go along with freedom of speech, protection against a trial without indictment, protection against cruel and unsual punishment and a host of other actual rights that were based on age of enlightenment ideas (of which gun nuttery was not one).

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Background checks are regulations.

I’d be fine with closing private sales loopholes to the extent they exist.

Ultimately, not much of a gun guy, so I probably won’t pick one up today, but I think any given right is more important than whether I feel the need to exercise it.

Interestingly enough, the kids’ undisciplined approach has emboldened a lot of adults to reveal their true goals. The stated indifference to personal rights is a fascinating — although not surprising — aspect of the debate.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You don’t believe an individual should be able to purchase a gun for protection? Said individual should rely on authorities — like the FBI and Broward County Sheriff’s Office?

You would be content to live in a country where someone who fears for his/her safety or that of those close to them had no recourse?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, by state, you may not need to fill one out.

And the idea that you can't stop and legally get a gun on your way to work in this country is laughable.

And how many times does it have to be said that we limit - quite happily - the 1st Amendment?

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do I really need to explain Medicaid reimbursement to you again? The federal government does not just give Planned Parenthood $500 million and tell them to behave themselves.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.