1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not quite none. It does go for abortions based upon rape, invest, and if the woman's life and health are in danger.

Just tells by you so no anti-abort thinks they have you in a gotcha.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tell you what. Let's repeal the 2nd amendment (what my post was actually about) to put an end to the idiotic revisionism that has made it into something ridiculous. Then, as a nation of laws, we can have a discussion about what weapons we are going to outlaw and for whom we are going to outlaw them. Sure.

The most basic right is the right to life. There is a reason why the right to life is explicitly mentioned in both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution (as well as the Magna Carta and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I believe).

Our batshit attachment to guns has made us into a too-violent society with way too many homicides, because broad gun ownership (with many of those guns the loonies are fighting to have legal being very efficient killing machines) has made it so that people's lives aren't safe. We have created something sad. Let's deal with that.

Now, if you are saying, "Let's get rid of everything, except single-shot rifles and handguns which fire a limited number of bullets," for "protection," I guess I'd much rather have that discussion as the starting point than the insane one that the shifted goal posts (and the nonsense about the 2nd Amendment) has created in this country.

But first let's make that the starting point.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    FileNotFound and lakefront like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Protection from what?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Very fine people

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Our society is too violent!

What could you possibly need protection from?

Our president is a dictator!

Take our guns away, please.

Your comment seems to completely dismiss anyone whose life does not mirror yours. You need to check your privilege.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think you're ultimately wrong. The tide has turned. It'll take 10 years but the gun laws in America will tighten up. Quite a bit.

TowelWaver and franticscribe like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So, no answer?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many times does it have to be said that hunting rifles and shotguns are great, and that rural folks with long waits for police response need to be able to defend themselves?

Seriously.

It doesn't matter how often it gets said, the 2nd amendment super-scholars like Tomi Lahren think some government cabal is coming to take her guns away.

PS - If more guns are the answer to violent crime, why isn't Chicago's South Side the safest place on earth?

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

People who live in any number of areas in this country choose to own guns to protect themselves and their loved ones.

I don’t think I need a gun at the moment, but if I needed one to protect my family from a bad neighbor, stalker, disgruntled former employee, etc., are you going to protect me? I’m not part of your life, so you don’t give a shit.

I’d like to have the option.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As I said, laws will be passed. And there will still be mass shootings every year. Because the laws will have only a minimal effect. Many of the guns involved in shootings are borrowed from "law-abiding" citizens anyway, oftentimes a family member. It would take a true police state type of government to get the results you'd like to see re: gun deaths.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hmm.

So the law and order party is no longer in favor of law or order? Don't rely on laws or a police force? Courts? Restraining orders?

Just the code of the wild west?

Cool.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Like the police state Australia enacted in 1996 after it got fed up with mass shootings (and which has effectively ended them in the country)?

Even if you're right, to not to TRY it is senseless, to me at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.