1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You have the option.

And will continue to have the option.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's very pro-choice of you.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Gotta stay vigilant.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with points 3 and 4.

On points 1 and 2...

*If part of the power of the Stoneman kids' testimony is authenticity, I think authenticity gets diminished when an op-ed reads like it has been...imbued...with the "systemic failure" worldview that tends to mark modern liberal political thought.

*I don't know if a NYT editor did shape it - I actually kind of doubt it - but I hope it was shaped in a way that made it sound more like a kid.

*In its own way, the whole #WalkUpNotOut argument was pretty clever, because its anti-bullying message speaks to kids' desire to get along and be harmonious. State legislatures and school districts have been pursuing anti-bullying measures for years on end. What makes the op-ed...interesting...is the certitude with which a senior in high school, based on her interactions with Cruz, is willing to forcefully argue against those kinds of prescriptives, instead choosing to embrace a systemic model for identifying and then separating kids with mental illness and specializing their treatment at "another institution." Here's a kid arguing for a system that stigmatizes mental illness for the sake of arguing against an argument against walk-out movements.

Like I said, it's pretty sophisticated. It's a fully-formed refutation, in real time.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

There must be something darker, more sinister about Chicago (and even Baltimore) that makes this so. Some very fine people likely have the answer.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The biggest problem in the "in worked in that country" argument is that it assumes that the cultures of the nations are similar. We make the same mistake over and over in our interventions all over the globe. We assume everyone deep down is "like us" and/or wants to be like us. With catastrophic results.

I have zero problem with TRYING anything. I'm just not very optimistic about the likely outcome.

Upon the first mass shooting after whatever new laws are passed will come two arguments:

Right: "See? The new laws had no effect. They don't work."
    Left: "We need even tougher laws!"

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It is funny that you would say that because I have always thought the same thing when I see pro-life rallies and people have their little kids with them and those posters of aborted babies.

Baron Scicluna and BadgerBeer like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This isn't me doing "Hey look at Norway!" Australia's culture prior to their ban may have been MORE nutty than ours when it came to guns. This was the land of outback settlers (to stereotype, they consider themselves wannabe Crocodile Dundees), and they are not exactly known for being keen on government regulation there. They certainly fought for their guns for years and years.

Until a mass shooting got some politicians and police chiefs to fight back against that culture and force something through that was different -- banning semi-automatic weapons, military-style weapons, banning their import and even putting in a gun buyback program.

What are the catastrophic results I should expect from a similar ban from the U.S.? Because the way things are now isn't keeping people safe.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

An OpEd editor there would/might have cleaned it up to the extent they take out some of the rhetorical throat clearing and hemming and hawing.

Or referred the piece back to the author for a day or two to find help in doing those things.

Also, Mary Shelley wrote 'Frankenstein' when she was 19. SE Hinton published 'The Outsiders' when she was 18.

Some kids can write.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was using QYFW's wording., Take it up with him.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It was the high school version of a domestic disturbance. I feel sorry that people don't know this because it is an issue all to itself, aside from the gun. It was a boyfriend/girlfriend issue that sometimes ends up with one of them -mostly the female of course-dead. I have heard mention that the owner of the gun should have some charges because he did not store it safely...and that is a whole other issue too.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

“We shouldn’t pass laws because criminals will just break them anyway!” is perhaps the dumbest talking point in modern American history.

FileNotFound and Smallpotatoes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.